Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2023 Herring Tracking Reports

7292 Views 29 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Jono916
Herring have been sited at the mouth of the Hudson. Post reports here.
Reactions: 2
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
went to poesty today.. saw one herring caught from bridge snagged on sabiki. Must have been a loaner cause 5 guys didnt get anything for about 15 more minutes I was there. Soon.. I think after the rain sunday - monday it will get loaded.
Took the boat out today caught one herring from the boat at the mouth of the posty. Just begun. DEC was sniffing around the posty today
Fished from shore south of Albany, couldn’t get bait any way I tried till tide went out at noon then scapped at will. 2-3 at a time all afternoon. No luck on stripers though. Almost everybody that came by in a boat said they couldn’t get any bait out in the river.
Herring are in the posty. Good amount of them to
Has anyone tried to catch or scap herring in the Esopus or Roundout creek? The baitshops I've checked only have fresh dead or frozen herring (sometimes), and I would prefer to have live. I have a scap net, and stoolie rod ready to go, but I was told that it may be easier with a sabiki. Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.
I was also told to try scapping at the edge of the river, but it seemed so vast, and perhaps I was intimidated, but I only gave it 15 minutes and had no follows. This was in Newburgh and Kingston.
No problem getting bait above coeymans ...they are there u just gotta stoolie them up from shore the 1st hour of daylight seems to be magic time to getem even at low tide
No problem getting bait above coeymans ...they are there u just gotta stoolie them up from shore the 1st hour of daylight seems to be magic time to getem even at low tide
I've seen boats and bridge fisherman at Eddyville bridge and also towards falls. I believe there getting herring.
Roundout Creek
Reactions: 1
I got to the Eddyville Bridge around 7:30 am on Saturday. There were about 5 other people fishing on the down current side. There were also some under the bridge. Seemed like everyone was getting herring but me. They were using sabikis and a stoolie on the end for weight. Herring are in. I also tried on the Hudson and I was able to get herring to follow my stoolie, but my net was too small and I was advised by another guy with a scap net to go to Home Depot and make a net for next time. The net I had was also too heavy to pull up quickly to net the herring. I actually had one bounce off of the metal edge of the hoop. The kind gentleman with the scap net gave me one of his live herring to take along on my fishing trip. I am thankful for the kindness of strangers.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts