Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Yesterday again was a grind for the Milton to Newburgh stretch. The masses have moved on but there are still big ones hanging around. As evident from Bub’s report there are lots of fish up North that need to come down. They should arrive in our area Friday or Sat. The females caught yesterday were still unspawned so there may be another spawn when the schoolie males arrive from the north. The stretch N of the Newburgh bride was good in the morning but for the most part the whole bay was devoid of fish. We went up to Milton and set up on drifts I know fish travel and we slowly picked at em. Pods of 6-10 fish would come by every 15 min and sometime they would feed. Water temps started at 63 in the am and went up to 66 degree.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fished the flood tide from marlboro to milton today. South wind with tide had constant rollers and white caps. Managed 3 slots . Many marks on bottom. Pulled the boat today. LIS and Lake O bound. Great season again. Tight lines to all!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Wow everybody's numbers are so far down? Weather? Fast Season?
i haven’t added up my total yet but def way less fish caught this year…..although we caught more fish over 40” this year than any other year combined……..50 fish over 40” this year which is amazing for where we fish. There were way fewer schoolies in our Milton area this year.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
The masses of fish have moved on as there were not many fish around this weekend. The 90 degree days pushed the surface temps up and drove these fish right out of the river. We never had a good snow pack to stabilize river temps. There are still big fish up north but they will be traveling in singles or pods of 3-4 as they exit. If you are still motivated to fish don’t try to find fish…..drift the areas you know they will be traveling and you may get lucky. I ran out alone last nite after dropping a buddy off and drifted just north of Marlboro tight to the west shore and got 3 fish over 40” after drifting all day with nothing. We will be back out Fri and Sat then drive the boat back to Albany and pull it for the season to get ready for the Block Island cows. Water temps in Norrie, Marlboro, Newburgh and Cornwall hit 70 yesterday.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
My buddies are still crushing 20-30 Stripers every morning in Albany and Troy with many over 15 lbs and there are still plenty of Herring in Albany..............good sign lots of fish still up North and need to come down despite the water temps.........I had a feeling most of the fish bypassed Marlboro to Milton........This weekend could be good....maybe ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
My buddies are still crushing 20-30 Stripers every morning in Albany and Troy with many over 15 lbs and there are still plenty of Herring in Albany..............good sign lots of fish still up North and need to come down despite the water temps.........I had a feeling most of the fish bypassed Marlboro to Milton........This weekend could be good....maybe ???
Saw multiple pods of fish spawning in front of West Shore Marina tonight (June 2nd). Might put the poles back on the boat for the weekend 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just getting a chance to post pics from last weekend. Managed to boat 3 between Saturday and Sunday. Got a 39" that took my reel down to the backing. I was expecting a much bigger fish by the way it took line but was still happy to get the rush of a screaming reel. I'm hoping for a few more chances this weekend. The way this years been it could be the best fishing of the season. Who knows.
Cloud Water Sky Boat Fisherman
Cloud Water Sky Boat Fisherman
Cloud Sky Water Vehicle Aircraft
Cloud Sky Boat Vertebrate Sunglasses

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
The majority of the fish have vacated the River but there certainly are still fish to come down. This weekend we make the trip from Marlboro back up to Albany so we had the opportunity to scan the river all the way up. We spent the night N of Kingston and we did mark plenty of traveling fish...they just had no interest in feeding. Boat is now getting ready for the Salt season which is blowing up.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts