Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The fishing continues to improve as we finally had a nice day with calm waters and no winds. Lots of monsters caught today.........we only got 7 in the 20-28 in range but several over 40 in fish were landed in the Milton stretch. My buddies landed a 48in/52 lber and a 43in/35 lber all caught in the channel. Lots of high 30 in fish also landed today. They are all moving north fast. Toward the evening the bite improved and the fish became more aggressive as the water temp which started at 50.5 degrees went up to 54.8 degrees...........this certainly made them more aggressive and they have started schooling up. It will continue to get much better from here. Dog Polar bear Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Water Vertebrate Sunglasses Casting (fishing) Lake
Water Sky Boat Fisherman Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Sky Water Watercraft Boat Fisherman
Water Sky Goggles Vertebrate Sunglasses
Water Sky Watercraft Sunglasses Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Sky Vertebrate Goggles Sunglasses
Water Sky Vertebrate Smile Fishing net
Sky Water Cloud Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Went out in the Coxsackie-Hudson area. Got a 38, 33 and a 24-incher, on live and chunk herring. All were on the outgoing on the edge of the channel. Nothing after about 1 p.m. Herring were plentiful.

·
Keelhauler
602 Posts
Fishing blind this year as my FF shit the bed. Ordered a new one and of course it's defective and the replacement won't be here in time. So all I'm working with is a depth finder at the moment.

Historically, I fish the Athens-Catskill stretch on the west side in 25-30 FOW and do well. Time and time again I have people tell me I'm bat shit crazy and should be fishing much shallower.
Anyone have advice for that area as far as East/West, currently productive FOW etc.. Just trying to up my chances given my electronic issues. Feel free to DM me if you don't want to post publicly.
Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’m actually just using the navionics app on my phone and looking for structure. The females travel the lower 1/4 of any column and the males above that. I do look for herring schools with the fish finder but otherwise I’m anchored. Gas is too expensive so I plan on a spot and get there.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Went out yesterday in the Milton/Poughkeepsie area and there were not many fish.....we picked up the Channel 10 News Weather crew for some fishing....Rob Lindemuth who does a piece called Reelin with Rob. The did a short weather report every 30 min for for the evening our boat was the Mobile Weather Boat...we had a short window to get him a fish and just before his 6:15 report we hooked a monster so I handed him the rod........fish screamed out over 100 ft of line and when we landed her she was 44"/33lbs.......what a fish for his first Striper EVER. Water temps went up to 54.8 degrees finally.

Here are the vids:

https://fb.watch/cO7UVh4DFb/?mibextid=S1tjtd

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Pretty cool. Can I ask, are you still using bloods or have you migrated to different bait? NE suppliers I've used in the past are not shipping again this year. Can't find a consistent bait supply and considering to try herring or something else.
Yes I am still using bloods and sands...........and I hang and eel off the side which sometimes gets whacked but acts more as an attractant.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Fishing blind this year as my FF shit the bed. Ordered a new one and of course it's defective and the replacement won't be here in time. So all I'm working with is a depth finder at the moment.

Historically, I fish the Athens-Catskill stretch on the west side in 25-30 FOW and do well. Time and time again I have people tell me I'm bat shit crazy and should be fishing much shallower.
Anyone have advice for that area as far as East/West, currently

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heard reports of plentiful herring yesterday (Thur 5/5) at the Troy dam. Put our boat in at 5pm and marked schools, but only landed one herring in 3 hours, they had completely turned off. Saw 2 stripers being landed upon our arrival just south of the dam. No one could get bait fish last night.

·
Off The Grid
10 Posts
May 5th, Started the day on the out going between the bridges, picked up a 34, then we tripled up on slot fish 23-26, then nothing for a few hours. We were about ready to pack it around 4:30 and then BAM! a 39 inch slammed a blood at 18 ft. Great fight and didn't even have to revive when released

Water Boat Sky Lake Watercraft

Water Boat White Fisherman Outdoor recreation

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I landed two schoolies last Saturday in about 2hrs and my 4yr old ("mostly" herself) caught a nice 5lber close to her height in length. I lost a good half dozen bites likely due to missing (maybe stolen?) rod holder outriggers. My back two rods are completely vertical BWB Ugly Stik's with braid 😕. I'm thinking about tomorrow with new outriggers on the boat but with the wind I'm having second thoughts. A little rain I could handle and might even improve the bite with some cloud cover. Anyone else have thoughts on tomorrows weather?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have been out here since 9am in the Schodack/Castleton area. Herring have been very tough to come by in the river. Have see other boats land a couple fish throughout the day. About to pack up and take the "L" for today...

61 - 80 of 123 Posts