Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
First short trip of the year this morning in Greene County. Getting bait was a PITA ..which in my experience means if you get your hands on some it'll probably be a good day.. Managed to put 3 on the deck 36.25" 28.25" and 34".

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Quick evening trip tonight in Greene. No followers with the stoolie in the main river but I was able to jig some in the creek. Landed two with the biggest being 27.5". Had another pop off mid fight. Seems decent if you can obtain bait. Back out in the am.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Am trip in Greene. Bait was tough once again. Only managed to get 2 herring. Glad I saved a few from the day before. Put 2 stripers in the boat with the largest being a HRF tagged 28". Marked quite a few schools.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Put in a few hours this am in Greene. Was able to jig up my bait limit relatively quickly. Screens were lit up with herring and stripers. Only ended up with one 31" though. First one of the year that had my reel screaming. Hopefully this weather doesn't screw things up too much.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Took my girlfriend out this morning. Was finally able to scap up my limit of herring and save myself a probably pointless trip up a muddy creek.. started the day catching a 20" in the scap net that was chasing my stoolie.. a first for me. My girl caught her ATPB ..a FAT 40.5" that swam away nice and strong. Back at it in the am.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Went out for a few hours this am till I got tired of the wind. Scapped my herring limit in 3 casts which was nice. Boated 4 ranging from 26"-34.5". Fish finder was loaded with schools passing.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Made morning and afternoon trips today. Bait continues to be easy to scap.

AM: landed 36.5", 37.5", 36", 39.25" and had a couple pop offs.
Also, hooked into something MASSIVE on chunk. The second I set the hook it went right to the channel and down the river. If it weren't for the initial hit, run and headshakes I would have sworn that it was a submerged tree. It never so much as gave me an inch.. just steadily kept pulling away.. It nearly spooled 300yds of line before it broke off. I started recording about 15 mins into the fight so at least I have proof of my "fisherman's story" lol. In retrospect, I wish that I released my anchor and chased it down. Not sure if it was a monster striper, a sturgeon or what?

PM: took my 9yo out for a couple hours. I've tried to put him on fish for a couple seasons but the weather and fish never seemed to cooperate. Got our bait quick and got at it. Had a few quick run and drops. Enough to keep him at the edge of his seat. Just as he was getting bored around slack tide a pole that we were about to reel in went screaming. He kicked ass and muscled in his first.. a nice healthy 38.5"! Stoked is an understatement. The picture will be framed and hanging in my livingroom till the day I die.
Back at it in the am��

Attachments

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Morning trip with my son. Bait was a bit slower but I was still able to scap enough to last for a few hours. My fish finder shit the bed so obviously couldn't mark anything and had to guesstimate my fow. About 30 mins in I caught a 41.5". Unfortunately for my kid there were no other hits or runs ..not that I'm calling it a lousy morning by any means.

Attachments

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
and thanks for congratulating my son:flyfish:

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Made a quick am trip today. Debris everywhere ...fun.
Bait was a little tough to scap but persistence paid off. Had one striper break off right away. Probably a nick in my line. Managed to boat a 36.5" and 37". One on live and one on chunk.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Morning excursion with my boys today. Was finally able to jig up some herring again after a few dead days. Landed a 35" channel cat(my pb) My stepson caught a 36" striper which is his pb. Didnt see much else going on around us. Heading back out Saturday.

Attachments

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Fished Greene from 5-10am today. Was able to jig my limit quickly and get set. Had one screaming run and boated a 35.75". Nothing else on live or chunk(not even cats or eels). Marked lots of schools cruising by though.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
5am-1pm in Greene. Only jigged a few herring up the creek so I grabbed my scap net and headed to the river since they were finally beating the shoreline. On the way to my spot I marked what seemed like endless schools of herring, shad and stripers. I was able to easily jig my limit from the boat and landed a few shad which is always fun.
Got my first striper of the day within 5mins of anchoring. Then another.. then another... etc. Tons of run n drops and pop offs on live and chunk, a few snapped off.. It was hands down the most action packed trip that I have ever had in all my years of fishing the run. I ended the day with 23 stripers ranging between 32"-37.5". I wish I could have stayed out. Absolutely epic. Interested to see what tomorrow brings!

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Fished 5am to noon today. Scapped up my limit quickly and got myself situated. Caught 6 or 7 nice fat ladies in the first few hours up to 39.5". I was just having a conversation with my buddy that most of my fish have been 36"+ and that I've only caught a couple slot fish this run ...I jinxed myself because later in the am the dinks showed up in full force lol. Eveyone was slamming fish this am but the little bastards were relentlessly killing every live herring that was tossed out there. Had to adapt and switch to chunk and whole dead. Countless run n drops on the whole dead... but I spanked a few. All together I ended the day putting 15 in the boat.

So far I've topped my PBs for most in a day and most in a season. I have one goal left.. to pass the 42" mark on my bump board. Back at it in the am.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Very quick am trip with my son(5-7am). Was only able to scap two herring and forgot my frozen. The dinks are still around in force. We probably had a dozen run and drops. Finally got a solid run and my kid boated a hefty 35". Hoping the good fishing continues for another week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.