Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hit the catskill from shore with a sabiki. Didn't get one. The usual suspects in the boats were getting herring in the hole....

Best herring fishermen of the day were the osprey... Every 5 or 10 minutes one was flying overhead with a loaded bomb fuselage........

I smile every time I see one with a herring. Osprey all business and the herring is pissed!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Managed a sole herring for the day near the castleton bridge. Marked them but they didn’t cooperate. Water temp just over 48°. I did catch an American shad. Highlight of the day besides the weather. They’re fun on a sabiki. Released without harm.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Managed a sole herring for the day near the castleton bridge. Marked them but they didn't cooperate. Water temp just over 48°. I did catch an American shad. Highlight of the day besides the weather. They're fun on a sabiki. Released without harm.
caught about a half dozen shad. They are fun

·
Registered
136 Posts
Herring were next to impossible on a sabiki today. Bethlehem to Albany tried my usually productive areas. The water is warming up though, thanks to the floating dirt. The sun was nice and the wind was less than yesterday so, at least it was pleasant. Lots of people trying a stoolie on the dock when I packed it up for the day. Didn’t see any in the nets though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The usual places in the catskill have been hard to get herring. I've had zero luck..... IF you give up riverview marina in catskill has live and dead fresh herring..... The river basin shop is closed for the year.......

Going to work on herring good tomorrow....... Roe jan, the catskill creek mouth with casting a sabiki and jigging / bouncing the bottom, and going right u to 9W with the kayak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was in the creek so was only using a Sabiki and jigging then. Didn’t stop the asshole next to us who was using a scap net Bragged to us how he had already caught 50 herring and then took about 10 more. We almost got in a fist fight. He Didn’t think he was doing anything wrong. Jackoff took about 70 herring.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Up by the trot dam. Pain in the ass to get herring in the main river. Had to head to the posty to get some then head back up river. Temps will be dropping by the weekend

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stuyvesant yesterday 130pm could stoolie in 2-3 at a time no problem, had limit in 5 mins. they were busting all over on shore. Way easier than dealing with the poestenkill zoo. guy went up to the falls in a boat Sunday thought things were going to get ugly, folks throwing stuff at them

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the water temps stay in the 50’s and there’s sun,jigging in the river will be easier. I managed to get them yesterday and avoid the postenkill. The water clarity I makes things tough. Water in Troy was 55° in the am and started to slowly fall as the day progressed. Strong may sun and dirty water should keep the water warm enough.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No problem jigging them today in Albany. They were a little reluctant in the morning at the bottom of the tide but eventually they came around to my way of thinking. Vast schools.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.