Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

97K views 280 replies 78 participants last post by  FyshhTrap 
#1 ·
We can use this thread to track Herring movements up the river.

:icon_thelmutsalute:

Let us know when you start seeing them ... General location or county is fine, no need to give up your specific honey holes.

Thank you!

#250 ·
I was able to scap my limit in 3 casts today. More bait more choices. One short run and no fish landed.

#253 ·
Has anybody figured out the rules for herring poker yet? Clip off one of the hooks on a sabiki, which one is your choice. But before you cast, you have to say what hook is what, jack, queen king, etc. Obviously, 5 on would be the winner, but after that, the rules are not set. Need some standardization. I am still working on it, but could use some help.

#258 ·
Hey guys -
I am pretty novice on the Hudson and the surrounding areas, I have to questions:
1 what/where is HH?
2 I would like to trailer up north to try the herring part of the river. I would like suggestions for a good launch ramp (9W side preferred) with decent parking and not too challenging (trailering is not a strong skillset for me)
Thanks

#259 ·
HH = Henry Hudson Park ... located in Selkirk/Bethlehem, nice launch, very busy on weekends.

Catskill (Dutchman's Landing) has a nice launch and large lot.

There are many other places , a lot of small ones. I'm not familiar with places south of Catskill.

#261 ·
Dutchman landing is probably your best bet if you're not great with a trailer. Lots of room

#262 ·
Damn near impossible to stoolie herring this morning. I was north of kingston and forgot my sibiki rigs. Is anyone else having a hard time with bait around the kingston/Saugerties area? It seems like the nice weather scared them off. I figured they would be spawning like crazy with these warmer days. Any ideas? I gave up after 3 hours.

#264 ·
I'm a bit north of there but it was the same situation up by me. Two of us busted our ass to scap up a couple. When we went from 25fow out there was one huge school after another. Had no issues jigging them up. Don't forget your sabiki!

#265 ·
Hey Baha man,

Albany has good access from 787 and a good launch. Rensselaer looks good but it is gravel lower down, I saw some people struggling with front wheel drives at low tide.

Schodack island is good but getting through or around Hudson might not appeal to you.

Avoid Hudson, tricky to get to and launch from.

HH is nice but as said, can be busy. That's more of a walk to the truck problem than a congestion problem at the ramp.

I have avoided everything between HH and catskill because they are, or appear to be, smaller and tighter from the descriptions.

There's nothing worth mentioning north of Albany and Rensselaer.

I could be missing something

#270 ·
I'm kind of a noob but I do it differently than people I watch and I get better results than I see when I watch others.

I jig the sabiki rig from my boat straight down. I jig it in short continuous pulses, perhaps 10" pulls, probably less than 1 second per pulse; or as long as it takes my 3 ounce wait to fall back down the 10". I don't cast unless I'm shore fishing, in which case I do the same pulsing as the weight drops through the water.

I jig all through the water column from 10' down, starting at the bottom for less than a minute, then reel up 5' for a minute, then up 5' again. I'm rarely jigging for more than a couple minutes.

I've seen people struggling around me, both on shore and on boats. I start jigging and in a few minutes I catch a few herring for folks or catch them a bunch. Reds have worked earlier, greens later; greens are generally better especially when visibility is better.

I don't use the frilly rigs and I don't add a larger attractor to it as I see some people do.

I haven't been using my live well since I seem to be able to catch them at will.

Hope that helps!

#269 ·
A sabiki rig. Preferably with no wings of tassels. My go to is the "Wally Whale". Use whatever weight is necessary to get it down. I like to put a stoolie on the end of mine for an extra attractant. I can't give an exact depth or location in the water as it changes. If you're in a boat use your electronics.

#272 ·
...and I made these.... They just make it easier to pull them out and use them without dealing with the hooks, since they reel into the PVC. It makes the short jigs a little easier because its stiff. I only found them at one bait shop but they were $80 a piece so I made a couple for $30.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.