Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Next time register online............no hassles and free.

I use a sabiki rig and cast it out for herring..........works great.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I called the dec to register in the marine registry---I couldn't believe the sales pitch I got. "you need a freshwater licence, a saltwater licence, and ANOTHER licence of some sort." im estimating a total cost of over 200 bucks worth of paper. I told him all I want was to register in the marine registry. he pitched me a freshwater licence -again!!---I said the newspaper said all I needed was to register, and that it was free, so that's what I want to do. I wouldn't have picked up the phone otherwise. he FINALLY broke down and took my name, etc. JESUS!!!! ny state is such a money grubbing wh&re anymore its disgusting!!! I think a Colorado fishing licence was like,.. 9 bucks? here it's like what?--75, 80??? pathetic!!

okay,.. so now im armed with my registry confirmation number, so today im headed down to bard rock in hyde park to jig a (10) herring out of the creek that dumps in there. I saw a post that said theyre at the bleachery in wapp. i'm not going to lose my mind if I fail today, mainly just a forward recon for today --if I can produce some herring that would just be gravy.

my question since I never jigged a herring successfully before is.... can a tiny silver mepps spinner with no hair on it be used/ will a herring go for it? I resharpened the treble on it, so all I need is a bump, cuz I heard they will just rub it for a millisecond and run. I just need to know if anybody ever had any luck with a teensy-tiny (1-1/2 inch overall length) silver hairless mepps spinner.
yes you can use that spinner, I"ve caught them bymistake with them, If you use a sabiki rig I believe One bottom set of hook must be cut off.
I use a small Castmaster on the bottom clip for casting from shore, then I clip off two, this way you are NOT targeting shad by attaching a dart for weight and herring will also hit that lure. or just attach a small sinker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes you can use that spinner, I"ve caught them bymistake with them, If you use a sabiki rig I believe One bottom set of hook must be cut off.
I use a small Castmaster on the bottom clip for casting from shore, then I clip off two, this way you are NOT targeting shad by attaching a dart for weight and herring will also hit that lure. or just attach a small sinker.
thanks man. I didn't see ANY herring at all. was nice down there, though. saw a baby muskrat. I just threw down an order for 2 sabiki rigs.

just how do you fish a sabiki rig? just cast/ stop / start /stop/start?? id say the pool where the herring lay at the creek mouth is about 7-10 feet deep at low tide. it shallows out to about one foot where I stand. actual vertical jigging (like from a boat) is impossible.

·
Registered
337 Posts
thanks man. I didn't see ANY herring at all. was nice down there, though. saw a baby muskrat. I just threw down an order for 2 sabiki rigs.

just how do you fish a sabiki rig? just cast/ stop / start /stop/start?? id say the pool where the herring lay at the creek mouth is about 7-10 feet deep at low tide. it shallows out to about one foot where I stand. actual vertical jigging (like from a boat) is impossible.
Dicks sporting goods has them along with just about every fishing shop near the river. you"re gonna proly want more than 2 as they tangle badly if not stored properly, I use a round stick of foam and wrap them around it then put that in an old papertowel cardboard. They are fished like jigs representing small shrimp that they feed on, use a smaller size on the river , I use size 8 in chartruse, stay out of the pool if you can or just use a bb size split shot to keep it from dragging bottom, if herring are there they"re in the river also.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I store my two jigging rods in the side "pockets" of my boat, slipped inside a pvc tube. Had to use rods short enough to fit but that will be different from boat to boat if you even have the space for it. For me it's 6ft rods or less. Simply cut the pvc to length and at one end added a tapered piece of pvc so that the opening to slip the rods in is larger than the storage tube. Just pick up the tubes from there home, slide my rod out and begin catching bait. I usually wrap the sinker once around the handle of the reel to secure the sabiki. Since I've used this method I haven't had any issues with the hooks catching things in my boat.

·
swabbie
170 Posts
Just an FYI regarding jigging for herring in a creek, I'm not 100% sure but I believe that you will need a fresh water fishing license to do that. Those creeks aren't tidal water and I don't think are covered by the salt water registry license.

·
Official Member
572 Posts
Bluetarp, I see from your profile you are from the Hyde Park area. In my experience it is difficult to jig herring in that stretch of the river because the water is usually pretty cloudy and the herring need to be able to see the sabiki before they will hit. You may want to concentrate your efforts in the creeks, there is one in particular down there that I know about on the Ulster County side. You may have better luck with a scap net, there are videos on youtube showing what they are and how to use them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks. there's a big calm cove behind bard rock on the north side where it's pure sand/mud bottom/no rocks -and- there's a creek pouring in there to bring the herring in. I have no other option on foot. and im on foot. the creek has waterfall steps in it right at the mouth too so herring cant get way up in there and have no choice but to stop dead right where im gonna stand. at low tide its about 4 feet deep and it was crystal clear yesterday. there isn't anywhere else for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldn't post that...........DEC has made it clear even taking a pic is illegal out of season.
Thanks for the heads up Doc. I can't seem to remove the post only edit it. Just wanted to show proof that I wasn't just bull****ing. Now I'm kind of glad I wasn't with him when he caught it lol. I saw it on Facebook. I'll also let him know about taking pictures before the season opens...I'm sure he was unaware of this law as I was.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just an FYI regarding jigging for herring in a creek, I'm not 100% sure but I believe that you will need a fresh water fishing license to do that. Those creeks aren't tidal water and I don't think are covered by the salt water registry license.
hudson river tribs are covered by the marine registry when targeting migratory fish from the sea.and which tribs on the hudson wouldnt be subject to tides?

41 - 60 of 281 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.