Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
If we don't have nets to catch live herring, where in the Albany/Troy area can we get them live? That's even if you can.
use a stoolie, ( a stoolie is a large plastic Super Shad bait), they are about 9 in. long, you can get em single or in packs of two for a couple of bucks, cast those out from shore. Herring will follow them in, curiosity, now cast out your Sabiki rigs for fresh Herring.

·
First Mate @ Ace Charters
761 Posts
use a stoolie, ( a stoolie is a large plastic Super Shad bait), they are about 9 in. long, you can get em single or in packs of two for a couple of bucks, cast those out from shore. Herring will follow them in, curiosity, now cast out your Sabiki rigs for fresh Herring. You cannot transport Live Herring, so unless you know of a bait shop ON the river that legally nets them, you"re doin it yourself.barney.gif
Yes you can Transport them over land...

Three defined overland transportation corridors were designated for the purposes of allowing the transport and use of uncertified baitfish by anglers in specific areas of the state. The three overland transportation corridors are intended to primarily serve anglers fishing three major water bodies: the Lake Erie-Upper Niagara River; the Lower Niagara River-Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River; and the Tidal Hudson River. To protect against the spread of fish diseases into uninfected waters through the use of baitfish, uncertified baitfish are only allowed to be used on the same body of water where they were collected within these corridors.

Transportation of Personally Collected Baitfish within an Overland Transportation Corridor

Personally collected baitfish taken from a water body within an overland transportation corridor may be transported within that corridor. These baitfish may only be used in the same water body they were collected in.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/hrcorridor.pdf

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes you can Transport them over land...

Three defined overland transportation corridors were designated for the purposes of allowing the transport and use of uncertified baitfish by anglers in specific areas of the state. The three overland transportation corridors are intended to primarily serve anglers fishing three major water bodies: the Lake Erie-Upper Niagara River; the Lower Niagara River-Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River; and the Tidal Hudson River. To protect against the spread of fish diseases into uninfected waters through the use of baitfish, uncertified baitfish are only allowed to be used on the same body of water where they were collected within these corridors.

Transportation of Personally Collected Baitfish within an Overland Transportation Corridor

Personally collected baitfish taken from a water body within an overland transportation corridor may be transported within that corridor. These baitfish may only be used in the same water body they were collected in.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/hrcorridor.pdf
thats good to know , I was told by a bait dealer last year(he nets his own) he couldn't transport his bait live, maybe I heard him wrong,but he didn't sell live either. I know I"ve been to places in Kingston years ago that sold live for $2.00 a piece, yikes, a sabiki and a bucket works for me, thanks for clearing that up, I hate giving bad info, rather be safe than sorry,And that post was edited.

·
Registered
337 Posts
So, i did check out that link and you are correct, we can transport.
My friend, a commercial netter, one of very few, is allowed metric tonnage and had problems in the past with the "grey area" concerning legality of transpotation, got so pissed at NYS, DEC. Felt it was easier to transport fresh dead and basically told me it was illegal to transport live. Because I rarely use live herring and unless i catch them , this what was told me made sense. Im very sorry for any misinformation that i posted earlier about transporting, and very glad a great member of this forum "REEL FORCE" was able to quickly rectify this.:icon_thumright:

·
Registered
20 Posts
the live herring was an issue of certified bait. When they made the transport corridors it simplified the transport law. Even If you sold live herring at a normal baitshop. They have to be completely separated from all other live aquatic bait.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just comming back from Albany, Corning Preserve area and 1mi. Past I-90 bridge, casted a 9" super shad hookless stoolie.... and.....nope no herring, i didnt go to the Poestenkill, but usual herring spots, enjoyed the day and my coffee. We still have a week !!!:clock:

·
Registered
63 Posts
So, i did check out that link and you are correct, we can transport.
My friend, a commercial netter, one of very few, is allowed metric tonnage and had problems in the past with the "grey area" concerning legality of transpotation, got so pissed at NYS, DEC. Felt it was easier to transport fresh dead and basically told me it was illegal to transport live. Because I rarely use live herring and unless i catch them , this what was told me made sense. Im very sorry for any misinformation that i posted earlier about transporting, and very glad a great member of this forum "REEL FORCE" was able to quickly rectify this.
So if I catch herring in a creek. I can keep them alive. Put them in my vehicle and transport them to the hudson?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So if I catch herring in a creek. I can keep them alive. Put them in my vehicle and transport them to the hudson?
Yes - as long as you stay within the transportation corridor. So you couldn't catch one outside of the corridor and then bring it to the Hudson or catch one in the Hudson and take it to the Sacandaga and soalaughing7.gifk it for large pike

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went scouting for herring with a nine inch super shad, i cut the hook off and bent the hook wire round, also had my fishing and marine liscence on me.th_icon_splitform.g:

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wheen the herring move into the river, they move through the locks all the way to lock 8 on the Mohawk and past, fishing is terrible thru june with larger Pike size lures, ie.. spinnerbaits, large sticks, plugs etc..
When they leave , the rivers are full of baby herring!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I keep hearing about people getting ticketed for striper fishing. People just can't wait til the 1st I guess :frustrated:
I called the dec to register in the marine registry---I couldn't believe the sales pitch I got. "you need a freshwater licence, a saltwater licence, and ANOTHER licence of some sort." im estimating a total cost of over 200 bucks worth of paper. I told him all I want was to register in the marine registry. he pitched me a freshwater licence -again!!---I said the newspaper said all I needed was to register, and that it was free, so that's what I want to do. I wouldn't have picked up the phone otherwise. he FINALLY broke down and took my name, etc. JESUS!!!! ny state is such a money grubbing wh&re anymore its disgusting!!! I think a Colorado fishing licence was like,.. 9 bucks? here it's like what?--75, 80??? pathetic!!

okay,.. so now im armed with my registry confirmation number, so today im headed down to bard rock in hyde park to jig a (10) herring out of the creek that dumps in there. I saw a post that said theyre at the bleachery in wapp. i'm not going to lose my mind if I fail today, mainly just a forward recon for today --if I can produce some herring that would just be gravy.

my question since I never jigged a herring successfully before is.... can a tiny silver mepps spinner with no hair on it be used/ will a herring go for it? I resharpened the treble on it, so all I need is a bump, cuz I heard they will just rub it for a millisecond and run. I just need to know if anybody ever had any luck with a teensy-tiny (1-1/2 inch overall length) silver hairless mepps spinner.

21 - 40 of 281 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.