Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I feel that it's more than that. Every diehard around my area is freaking also. There's never been a time at the end of April where a gillnet sits for hours to come up empty. Christ, the creek was always a given. I was able to get 3 this am. Everyone else I'm speaking to has old bait or stuff they bought. I hope you're right though and more show up..
I marked large schools yesterday that wouldn't hit the rig so maybe it is water temps / large plunge in temperature after that cold rain.

I was getting 55 degrees or so but that was on the surface. I would imagine it isn't that warm through the whole water column??

The common belief is the herring numbers are way down. I haven't noticed it the last few years by any means but maybe that is an accurate statement and that is why it's hard to get.

I guess we will find out over the next week or two.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tried jigging the esopus this morning and only pulled up one herring. I got out of my kayak, walked up close to the dam and tossed a big jointed crank bait and nailed a 30" striper on my bass pole which was a nice surprise tho.

·
First Mate
907 Posts
I was just walking outside my house here in Greene County and noticed something. The Lilacs are JUST NOW starting to bloom. And excluding Saugerties where they were blooming a couple of weeks ago, I can't seem to remember seeing any Forsythia plants blooming around here either. Maybe it is a wee bit early yet...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
^^^ I certainly think even though we had a few good weeks, it was still just the start. Heck most years May is "go time" for us up here. SO fingers crossed we'll have a lot more fishing heading our way.

No bluebacks yet. And you know how thick they can be.

:trink08:

·
Registered
17 Posts
went fishing for a few hours last night with chunk I had in freezer I'm [email protected] of us scapped around Germantown area.... nothing.talked with other friends there all day and no herring caught or seen.As stated above last weekend we caught many blueback herring.Some real small striper bite size ones too, now that alewive shark I cut up last night was a different story.lol.Im sure things will change soon.tight lines

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Are you sure they were bluebacks? If so then why? 90% of the time people mistake small alewives for them. I was one of those people for years till I did some real research.

·
Registered
337 Posts
caught Herring yesterday from Albany , more Alewives than Blues and saw Herring doing their spawning thing All over the shoreline from 12AM to 3AM Sun. while I was fishing the outgoing tide.
Saw herring again this afternoon as I was leaving under the I-90 bridge along the shore

·
Registered
40 Posts
caught Herring yesterday from Albany , more Alewives than Blues and saw Herring doing their spawning thing All over the shoreline from 12AM to 3AM Sun. while I was fishing the outgoing tide.
Saw herring again this afternoon as I was leaving under the I-90 bridge along the shore
My eye is getting better trained. I would have not tried to identify herring up until now, without a pic and description. Yesterday near castleton, I was catching herring and noticed the difference from the last few weeks. Must be the blue backs.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Tossed the stoolie for 3 hours this morning in Greene County. Not a single follower.

221 - 240 of 281 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.