Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 195 Posts

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Is it me or are these herring extra large this year
I don't notice a difference with the alewives. This gets mentioned every year. Unfortunately, the majority of people don't know how to properly identify them. Not that it matters bait is bait, but it's surprising to me how many people post pictures saying "bluebacks are here" and couldn't be more wrong.
Dispite the name, you cannot always distinguish them by color..

Alewives have big eyes and the diameter of the eye will be greater than the distance from the edge of the eye to the tip of the snout. Their body is deeper. Their inner cavity is light in color.

Bluebacks have significantly smaller eyes that are equal to the distance between the eye and snout. The majority of the time their bodies are more streamlined and shallow. Their inner cavity is blackish.

Sorry for the rant. Hopefully this information will be useful to someone on here.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't notice a difference with the alewives. This gets mentioned every year. Unfortunately, the majority of people don't know how to properly identify them. Not that it matters bait is bait, but it's surprising to me how many people post pictures saying "bluebacks are here" and couldn't be more wrong.
Dispite the name, you cannot always distinguish them by color..

Alewives have big eyes and the diameter of the eye will be greater than the distance from the edge of the eye to the tip of the snout. Their body is deeper. Their inner cavity is light in color.

Bluebacks have significantly smaller eyes that are equal to the distance between the eye and snout. The majority of the time their bodies are more streamlined and shallow. Their inner cavity is blackish.

Sorry for the rant. Hopefully this information will be useful to someone on here.

Tight lines!
Bluebacks usually arrive a week or two later too i believe??

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was told by someone, I guess was wrong, that Bluebacks have the dot behind their gill, and are generally smaller. This is only my third year so there is a lot I don't know. I had this discussion yesterday while fishing too..lol

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
Bluebacks usually arrive a week or two later too i believe??
Yup yup. There may be a few stragglers mixed in, but I've never seen them up in masses immediately. I'm not ruling out that they're not here. Although I'd be surprised. I personally haven't seen them yet.

·
Keelhauler
578 Posts
I was told by someone, I guess was wrong, that Bluebacks have the dot behind there gill, and are generally smaller. This is only my third year so there is a lot I don't know. I had this discussion yesterday while fishing to..lol
This is a topic even seasoned vets seem to screw up.
You can't even distinguish them accurately with the dot. Follow the eye rule that I mentioned or if your using chunk you'll notice the cavity color difference is night and day. You'll never second guess yourself.

·
Official Member
28 Posts
To me very easy to distinguish because they look like completely different fish. One looks just like a sawbellie on steroids the bluebacks look entirely different and do come much later than giant sawbellie and I think what striper prefer.........

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Has anyone jigged up a herring this season yet? North of catskill?
:flyfish:
Before the last slug of rain a few were reported (check back a few pages) ... I think most guys out there right now north of Catskill have been shore guys. So scapping is the way to go.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Before the last slug of rain a few were reported (check back a few pages) ... I think most guys out there right now north of Catskill have been shore guys. So scapping is the way to go.
This time of year up hear towards albany its always the stoolie from shore early. Get enough to to go throw out a few poles and jig.. It you run out and they aren't hitting the jig,, back to shore to re stock.. Eventually they will hit the jig and your self sufficient out there. So as my expereience has taught me anyway...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't been able to fish the past couple days but, before the colder weather I was getting some followers on a stoolie near coxsackie. I was wondering, has this colder weather slowed anything down? Hopefully I can get out this weekend.

Good luck everyone!

101 - 120 of 195 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.