Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 195 Posts

·
Official Member
16 Posts
stopped at uhaul today for a quick couple casts, didnt see anything but a COMMORANT! Yep one flew up landed in the middle of the river and then swam around for a few minutes and then headed back south towards henry hudson park. Getting mighty close now!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your right jigging will be tough... In the main river. Stoolign them is harder early in the year than jigging. They run deep in the river when the water is cold so the best spot to target them is a creek where they gather, with a jig. The main reason jigging is tough now... Not enough fish yet. Once those first waves come through jigging will be the go to methods until the water warms up. Not sure on the previous posters train of thought on this.

On topic... I jigged In he esopus creek yesterday and left with just a nibble. Was down there during a high tide that was on it's way out.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Your right jigging will be tough... In the main river. Stoolign them is harder early in the year than jigging. They run deep in the river when the water is cold so the best spot to target them is a creek where they gather, with a jig. The main reason jigging is tough now... Not enough fish yet. Once those first waves come through jigging will be the go to methods until the water warms up. Not sure on the previous posters train of thought on this.

On topic... I jigged In he esopus creek yesterday and left with just a nibble. Was down there during a high tide that was on it's way out.
I have always been told that herring won't hit the sabiki rigs until the water hits 50 or so. My experience confirms that.

I did see many herring snagged on sabikis in the Poestenkill last year when they first showed up.

Everyone thinks that the herring won't be here until the water hits 50 which i don't agree with. I have seen herring show up in Troy with water in the low 40's on multiple occasions.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I agree with the guys above ... 50 is about the key temp when we start jigging them in the main river. The coldest we have jigged them is 47-deg water and that was only a few.

We do better with stoolie method until jigging picks up.

:icon_thumright:

And here is where we stand as of right now ....

River Temperatures on 04/14/2015 at 10:49:57

Albany44.8 °F
Poughkeepsie 43.0 °F
West Point °F
Piermont45.5 °F
Battery44 ° F
Sandy Hook49 ° F

·
Registered
24 Posts
how heavy a weight do u use for the stoolie rig. I have one and haven't had a follower yet. went out for a little bit today, nothing. I know its early, but I feel it needs to run deeper, especially from a 10 foot wall

21 - 40 of 195 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.