Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Luxor,

I have not been able to night fish much this year so far. I did go out once at night 3 weekends ago and we landed a single striper trolling eels on the flats. That is all the intel I have. Roccus would be the man to ask.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
it aint been too sporty..lots of 6-10lb...plenty of "keepers" which IMHO is ridiculous to even mention...they are still schoolies.. an occasional 15-18 lb fish seems to show up but after that it's all about @%^& luck running into something... I took a vacation to the mountains last week to get away from little fish ( small keepers)... slowest year for quality good fish since the mid 90's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the update Roccus! I think I might still give it a shot. I haven't been for the last two years to Joppa or the run on the Hudson river which is only 40 minutes away. I have been killing the trout on the Deerfield river here in western Mass. this spring though.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
top fish last night was 27lbs...wind and anchored boats ( especially when the relocate in your "run" when they hear you hook up) made fishing tough...lots of small fish.. and I see the chunk crew is killing lots of babies... evidence of the many dead and floating shorts in the bay...

if your going to chunk for these small bass PLEASE....PLEASE...PLEASE USE A circle hook...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Me and my buddy made the three hour trip to the flats. Only action was an hour before high tide with multiple runs and drops and two landed schoolies. Oh well, maybe better luck next time. Roccus, how productive can the flats be throughout the season. Would it be worth trying again say in August or September?

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Me and my buddy made the three hour trip to the flats. Only action was an hour before high tide with multiple runs and drops and two landed schoolies. Oh well, maybe better luck next time. Roccus, how productive can the flats be throughout the season. Would it be worth trying again say in August or September?
there are many variables.... some years they are there all summer... last Thursday before I went to Maine I fished the top of the tide "in the river"... I landed 9 fish between 20 and 33lbs.. as well as a host of little guy's all on live eels...so there are some decent fish around.. just not as many as there should be..

·
Registered
225 Posts
I gotta admit I haven't been striper fishing gear much in the Merrimac this year....mostly because I'm a weekend guy and I get sick of the crowds.... and my current boat is not flats friendly. So I usually head off shore.
Fished block island a few weeks ago and I did better than I ever have in the merrimac....makes you think....

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
I gotta admit I haven't been striper fishing gear much in the Merrimac this year....mostly because I'm a weekend guy and I get sick of the crowds.... and my current boat is not flats friendly. So I usually head off shore.
Fished block island a few weeks ago and I did better than I ever have in the merrimac....makes you think....
The farther south you are....the more fish there are..it's always been that way... when fish stocks start to decline... the northern fringes and surf rats feel it first...I tell all my friends from the cape that we get to fish for all the smart fish.. they have already caught the dumb ones!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Roc....funny thing was when we fished block the smallest fish we caught was just over 25lbs...wasn't just us we could hear screaming reels in the distance. Weird there were no little fish around just big mommas... never seen anything like it.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Roc....funny thing was when we fished block the smallest fish we caught was just over 25lbs...wasn't just us we could hear screaming reels in the distance. Weird there were no little fish around just big mommas... never seen anything like it.
Not weird.. big fish and small fish rarely mix.. .... the less fish in the biomass.. the less to migrate north.. simple as that.. fishing the block should ALMOST be illegal.. every fish that we see here in the north has to pass through there to get here... of coarse they have a ton of fish.. we get the educated culls... that said.. last week was the best week of the season... maybe the best in 2 years.. just every cast produced a hook up or a fish... .. the best part.. 9 days of fishing and only myself( and anyone with me) and a handful of surf rats got in on it... very few under 20lbs.. the top fish was 49-14... lots of 30's and 40's( lbs not inches) in between...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not weird.. big fish and small fish rarely mix.. .... the less fish in the biomass.. the less to migrate north.. simple as that.. fishing the block should ALMOST be illegal.. every fish that we see here in the north has to pass through there to get here... of coarse they have a ton of fish.. we get the educated culls... that said.. last week was the best week of the season... maybe the best in 2 years.. just every cast produced a hook up or a fish... .. the best part.. 9 days of fishing and only myself( and anyone with me) and a handful of surf rats got in on it... very few under 20lbs.. the top fish was 49-14... lots of 30's and 40's( lbs not inches) in between...
That's awesome roc....I always seem to miss when the big girls roll thro... but I'm mostly a weekend warrior...:(

21 - 32 of 32 Posts