Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Official Member
572 Posts
put in at Albany on 7/17, really too hot to fish. traveled up thru the lock in troy, fooled around a little at the Mohawk, then up river a few miles. Small cold stream coming in from the east, 3 small stripers 6 to 10 inches on worms. one cat waiting for the lock to open on the way down.
did I say it was too hot to fish?

·
absolute trophy hunter
198 Posts
Cool stuff, I haven't tried for stripers in about two weeks but I'm sure I could still target em. Not sure about gettin the same size average though. Finally got info for the catfish derby and registerd online. Just google it and you shouldn't have trouble finding a link to the site. Its 15$ to reg and its sat july 20th. You can start fishing at dawn and all fish must be checked in alive (or else penalised 1/2 the length) by 2 pm

·
Official Member
572 Posts
put in at Albany sunday 7/21, fished the mouth of the normanskill on rising tide. many cats, few small white perch. got 20 inch striper on one of the perch, 8 incher on a worm. had another hit on a perch but lost it.

·
absolute trophy hunter
198 Posts
Fished Saturday near saugerties. Catfishin was tough with mostly small fish on shrimp, herring and worms. Largest was only 20" on a live white perch. Also fished Sunday evening for LT in the esopus. Got 5 bass mostly smallies with a couple 2-2.5 pounds. Fishing was kinda slow but persistence and soft plastics got me bites. Crankbaits and plugs weren't doin it. Lots of carp around as well

·
Official Member
572 Posts
fished shaver pond in grafton today ( aheadwater of the poestenkill, a Hudson trib), one 15 inch brown deadsticking a night crawler from shore. niece's kid Johnny also got the biggest rock bass I ever saw from long pond, nearly a foot long.
no substitute for time on the water

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fished the Hudson between locks C1 and C2. First time on this stretch. Picked up a few 1-1.5 lb smallies and one giant bluegill. Water temp was 73-74, strong current from the powerhouse at C2, visibility was over 2 feet. Fished a lot of unproductive water until I found a hump on the channel edge. Trip was short, air temp and sun got too hot. It's close to home so I'll defiantly be back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I fish off the shore, usually around the wall on river road in port ewen. This time of year shore fishing is nearly impossible with all the chestnut beds and down by where i am in Highland there is no public access. Mostly just been slamming smallies up at Ashokan

·
Official Member
572 Posts
fished yesterday north of Henry Hudson by big rock pile on east, many cats, including a 24 inch channel and a 20 inch white. Channel had to go 10 pounds, white fell to a live white perch. Also saw a guy with a giant fresh water drum that he got on a crayfish.

·
Official Member
51 Posts
fished yesterday north of Henry Hudson by big rock pile on east, many cats, including a 24 inch channel and a 20 inch white. Channel had to go 10 pounds, white fell to a live white perch. Also saw a guy with a giant fresh water drum that he got on a crayfish.
How big was the drum? Would love to catch a big one - have gotten them to 20"...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fished from shore today along Oakes Rd. in Highland by the railroad tracks with my friend. My friend got a 26 inch white cat, 2 channel cats, and 2 eels on chunk herring and nightcrawlers. I got 5 small channels on a nightcrawler on a drop shot rig. Nice day on the river.

·
Official Member
572 Posts
Looked like it was in excess of 20" but he was on another boat so I didn't get a good look. I got one a few years ago about that size on a sabiki at the troy dam, hooked in mouth.
Camping at Norrie State Park near Rhinebeck this weekend. Gonna see how far up Black Creek I can get at high tide. Wade once I can't pole the boat any further.

·
Official Member
572 Posts
Fished Albany today high to low tide. River has finally cleared up, 2-3' vis. Got bait size white perch on worms below the Port, a 14" smallie and 20" channel on those. Few other cats on worms as well. One screaming reel on a perch but did something stupid and lost it. Probably a striper. Went up to the Posty at dead low tide, nothing, but had a nice swim. Nothing at the Wynantskill either. Very few other boats, no wind, smooth ride.

·
absolute trophy hunter
198 Posts
I went below the falls in saugerties last night bass fishin and not a bite. Was hopin to see good schools of bait but not as of yet. Did get a couple smallies down stream at the marina but haven't seen any indications of stripers yet. Shouldn't be long before bait of all types is heavy in the creeks and the stripers will be right behind em. Ill be bouncing back and fourth between scoutin them out and hittin pulaski within 2 weeks or so

·
Official Member
572 Posts
Fished Friday evening from shore at a friends house right above the troy lock, watching the tugboats go by. Couple nice cats, perch, eel, and a 20 inch drum.

Fished today at the Normanskill low tide rising. Using small white perch got two smallies, one 14, one 18. Big one had to go five pounds. Also a three inch striper on worm, released. Then went up to the jazz fest and drank some beer.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.