Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had experience using the 12" Sluggo? Is it rigged the same as 9" (Mckenna style with two hooks joined with dacron)? Does it need to be weighted? How is it fished? Also your thoughts regarding the color. I fish mostly off the shore.

tight lines to you all

·
Registered
144 Posts
i've been using the 12" sluggo for a few months,rigged the same as the 9" with no weight add [its 2 3/4oz] i fish mostly at nite so its black for me,nothing but bluefish so far i'm holding off till the thin out.i think its going to work aewsome in the sud this fall slow behind a wave,will see.good luck with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think your right about not adding weight. Still havent used the 12". I had good luck so far with the 9" eel skin color. Fish them off rocks through daybreak. Had to glue a few of them back together, most worked fine after and saved a few bucks.

·
Internet Academy
324 Posts
I prefer the 9" myself, and I like to fish them with no weight. You can fish a sluggo many different ways, no weight as a top water or tidal waters(hold on to your rod) , carolina rig (great off the beach) , broom stick rig (great for rocky areas) , rigged on a jig head (great of the beach or in tidal waters)

You can use 2 hooks on a sluggo but I prefer only 1 hook I feel the 2 hooks takes away from the proper action of the sluggo.

·
LunkerSpunker
446 Posts
The sluggo usually gets split for me when a bass nails it, so last weekend I whipped out a lighter and heated it up, squeezed it back together and pinched it with the material as it melted and it fused right back together, then just heated it up again to smooth it and it's good as new.

·
Official Member
12 Posts
I have fished the 12 in rivers with the added insert weights with good success. If there is a current the insert weights help keep the bait down. Thanks for the tip on the lighter I will try that myself. It is time consuming to rig these guys and if I can get them to hold up a little longer it is worth the effort.

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
I haven't used the 12" Sluggo's, but use the 9" ones, with great results.
I do weight them, some with a jig head, and if I'm drifting 'em, I'll use nail weights.
I also use, Striper Magnets, Hogies, and I really like the Ronz baits.thumbsup.gif

·
"Saugus River Rat"
15 Posts
I prefer the 9" myself, and I like to fish them with no weight. You can fish a sluggo many different ways, no weight as a top water or tidal waters(hold on to your rod) , carolina rig (great off the beach) , broom stick rig (great for rocky areas) , rigged on a jig head (great of the beach or in tidal waters)

You can use 2 hooks on a sluggo but I prefer only 1 hook I feel the 2 hooks takes away from the proper action of the sluggo.
What is a broom stick rig??:dizzy:

·
Internet Academy
324 Posts
The wood or "broom stick" keeps the rig above and out of the rocks. Like a float.thumbsup.gif
That's right Jimmy, and you could also use a floating popper instead of the broom stick, just remove the back hooks from the popper but leave the middle hooks, and tie you leader to the back of the popper were the back hooks would be, and you can actually fish this rig with many other baits, and not just sluggos, this rig with a small bucktail (1/4 oz) behind it is absolutely deadly for stripers, give it a shot, and you will know what I mean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.