Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Veteran Elite
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, $100 to spend on a new spinning reel to mount on a 13 or 15' Diawa Eliminator. What's everyone's best suggestion.

·
Veteran Elite
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like my Tica Casting reels. They are great, would love to try out a Tica Spinning. But what about the Tica Dophin SE10000, has anyone used this? Specs seem right

SE10000 25/385, 30/235, 35/200 4.1:1 / 5.2:1 22.2oz

·
3,471 Posts
Ebay - pick up a used Penn 706. You might even get lucky and find one NIB for about that price in your local tackle shop. If it's for bait only try to track down a Shimano Baitrunner.

·
4,419 Posts
I agree with Suds Jeff.
If your looking for casting distance on a spinning reel the Daiwa
emblem pro is an alternative. Im trading my sealine conventional for
an emblem pro.
Around the same price and weight as the 704/6
and baitrunner 4500. At 23 ounces 1 ounce heavier.
Ive only used the tica dolphin rods and they do the job.
Only tica I used was the libra and it had some handle issues, too small
for the eliminator but not a bad reel.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
i tricked out my penn 525 with extra mags and also my squidder was a 40.00 find on ebay and with mags it will rival any (with exception of the more expensive conventionals) the 525 can be had for 100 bucks on ebay (patience) my squidder jr tricked with mags and newell is also a dream to cast but again, i flop bait 4-8 ft out for the bigger fish. some areas need the distance however and if you wanna cast 9 miles you may as well join capital longcasters or tournament casting competitions instead of fishing.

·
4,419 Posts
Zim said:
you may as well join capital longcasters
Unless your like me and you like to reach the channell at the rock from shore. Or the end of the jetty from the beach. ;)
I think where Jeff fishes he has to get past the breakers and he likes the spinning reels.

·
4,419 Posts
Thats pretty funny. I tried them near the jetty by the bridge close to deep water. Its tough to keep them from spinning out of control with a cast and retrieve. I guess the key is to inch them in.
Needless to say I hadnt nary a bump. But that happens no matter whats on the end. :)
genus skunkus striperjimius

·
Veteran Elite
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah we have alot of bars down here, and no structure other than that. The best place to fish is in a cut in my opinion....but there are times that you can't find one (high tide) or every one you come across is loaded with people already. Right now casting my stuff that I have I can lay it up right in front of the bar, which isn't bad for smaller fish.....But i know if I could just get an extra 25 yards out of it I'd really be doing something.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts