Carbon pro which is great and the only other options
were P-line and Berkley Vanish which I know from
experience is horrible--very bad knot strength. The
P-line fluoro worked great and may even be a bit
stronger than Carbon Pro....10# P-line was
consistently snapping my 12# XL main leaderon snags...lucky
that I was not winter steelheading b/c all of that
extra knot tying would have really got me mad..Next
time i'll use a 14# main line if I use 10# P-line.
However, it does have a little more memory than Carbon
Pro but it's not excessive. Fluoro leaders are great
for helping u hook and land great lakes salmon in the tributaries. With regular mono u'd have to drop down to 4-6#to get hits and with fluorocaron u can use 8# and often 10#. The leader held up fine during the 150 yard run throgh a fast rocky stretch of river. Bottom line p-line fluorocarbon is strong and is much cheaper than carbon pro which is the only other fluro that I'll trust for tough light tackle applications. Wish I coud post a picture but the film needs to be developed.
headbang.gif headbang.gif icon_thumleft.gif

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't know about the p-line flouro, but I use 8, 10, 15-17,25# P-line Premium all the time, and it is GOOOOOOOOD stuff, little memory, little stretch, and I don't know how much it will hold, but I boated a 38#+ striper on 8 # P-Line... It has it's idiosyncrasies I'm sure, but it's great for me...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too much memory in P-line Premium?

just curious, do u use it on spinning tackle? I've used P-line CXX (extra strong) as 8# leaders for salmon--very strong, but unfortunately fluoro is often needed and the 12# makes great crawler harness material for harness (very abrasions resistant to ths teeth). ut it seems to have more memory than Berkely XL for example and always assumed that it would have too much memory for spinning, but that it should be great on baitcasting/conventional. But then again the premium could have less memory?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think for strength and abrasion resistance, p-line is above and beyond any other type of mono. I highly doubt the flouro game for striper, but I have no idea how it affects other species. Ive heard smallmouth and trout are somewhat line shy, but I really cant say either way. I think diameter has way more to do with it than the visibility of the line especially for the presentation of live bait. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use the lighter stuff on my spinning reels, just don't fill spool to the rim and it works out fine, I use the heavier stuff on my baitcasting stuff and for leaders and it works great there. The premium version is much better than the standard P-Line, it is smaller diameter, flouro coated, and has less memory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.