Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-19 of 25 Results
  1. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    How long do you make your leaders for your tandem rigs you pull on your planer board rods? I'm new to planer board fishing, I've got to make up some rigs and I want to get them fishing right. Thanks for any info in advance.
  2. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    Hey, I'm new to the Forum and to striper fishing. For my 15th birthday a couple Months ago my dad bought me a salt water rod and reel ( I have been fishing for bass for a while but never slalt water ). He bought everything from the penn website including the line to I have 40 lb mono. I was...
  3. The Striper Forum
    I went to my favorite tackle store to get some 50#mono for a shock leader on my surf gear. 11' rod i use about 16' tied to my running line ,wrapped around the reel 3 times. counterman tells me just to use 3'-4' of clear mono or clear floro carbon on my running line. Because i'm using Hi vis...
  4. Shorebound - Surf Beginners
    Hey all, I'm a Midwestern boy who occasionally hunts the Musky. I have pretty much all the tackle for Musky's and am wondering how much of a difference I will need in leaders. I'm headed to Maine in early August and will give some shore fishing a try. I have my musky reels spooled w/ 80 lb...
  5. The Striper Forum
    Hi, When you guys use lures do you tie them directly onto the line, or do you have a leader in between? Thanks
  6. View From The Beach
    by Rich Troxler Recently, a member had made a comment on one of my threads called "What's in your wallet?" about having trouble tying a suitable knot between his leader and his running line. It occurred to me that there are a lot of misconceptions regarding leader terminology and leader usage...
  7. The Striper Forum
    I come seeking professional advice about leaders. I am giving braid a go this year (so far i love the sensitivity) and most of the places i fish have a lot rock/mussels/barnacle. In an effort to minimize cut offs I have been running 40 lb braid with a 12 foot 20 lb mono leader. I went off basic...
  8. The Striper Forum
    As i sit here snelling then hanging all my leaders for the fast approaching season I was wondering to myself how much it matters. Its something i have always done and probably will always do. I snell my hook, then with a clothes pin i pinch the top end of my 4-5 foot leader and put a 2 oz...
  9. The Striper Forum
    Like when you buy the presnelled ones at the store the knot at the loop opposite the hook.
  10. Stripers on the Fly
    fisher. IDAHO FALLS, June 1st, 2009 - RIO has a strong reputation for developing innovative fly lines, leaders and tippet material. Continuing this trend, RIO Products is proud to announce the launch of a selection of new leaders designed specifically for the demands of saltwater, salmon and...
  11. Stripers on the Fly
    the proper way to loop these is this (FYI) LOOPING THE LOOPS Many anglers have found the advantages of interchangeable tip lines. It makes sense for the traveling angler to be equipped with one rod, reel and line and a bunch of tips that can be changed as conditions change. However there is a...
  12. Saltwater Tackle Shop
    when making my own striper leaders i've been using a swivel with a fishfinder. for the leader itself ive been using about an arms length of line, then attaching the hook and the other end obviously to the other side of the swivel... my line is 20# test but my question is should I use the same...
  13. Stripers on the Fly
    Holy cow.... I just started making Furled leaders, made some for striper fishing this year as well with Camo-Monofilament (total 18lb test). These things are amazing. Just after pulling the first one off.... that I got right, I couldn't believe how nicely it behaved. Soft, supple, no memory. Oh...
  14. Saltwater Tackle Shop
    I saw the Canal Gathering thread, with the bike. It got me thinking. Next to the bike, one of the more important items for bait fishermen on the Canal is wire leaders. Buying them is insane. For relatively short money, you can make your own for years. All of these supplies are available at Red...
  15. Stripers on the Fly
    Leader Materials To achieve the best knot strength in leaders, use the same brand for all sections. Identical materials make stronger knots. Lubricate Your Knots Always lubricate your knots before tightening them. Saliva works on monofilament, but lip balm or a commercial knot lubricant is...
  16. Surfcasting Central
    Getting back into my surf casting roots from my childhood (30+ years ago). This site has been invaluable in picking up pieces of info, from the new ideas and techniques, to relearning how to tie basic knots - remember it's been a while for me. One thing I just don't get is using a leader for...
  17. Stripers on the Fly
    Leaders and Tippets Leader Materials To achieve the best knot strength in leaders, use the same brand for all sections. Identical materials make stronger knots. Lubricate Your Knots Always lubricate your knots before tightening them. Saliva works on monofilament, but lip balm or a commercial...
  18. Saltwater Tackle Shop
    Decided to buy all the stuff i needed yesterday to start makin my own leaders. Got a few different sizes and style hooks, 60 feet of 45# steel line. Sleeves and barrels. Also got a Berklee tool too crimp the sleeves onto the steel, that came with a pack of sleeves too. My question is,,,does...
  19. Saltwater Tackle Shop
    how often do you change your leader(braid to fluoro), i was fishing today and had a breakoff right there, didn't know if it was from being a few days old and many casts(like 4 or 5 hundred) old, also, what test leader would be best on 30# power pro? thanks in advance Ryan
1-19 of 25 Results