Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 174 Results
  1. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    I'm a long-time fisherman but a surf newbie. I have the all the right gear but I keep snapping my braid at the line-to-line knot during the cast. I'm using 30# Power Pro tied to 40# mono using an improved albright knot as well as a uni-to-uni knot. Both times I was casting a 2ish oz. talkin'...
  2. Hudson River
    I have been using braided 30lb test for the past couple of seasons. As per march of every season when it gets nice out i decide to reline all of my poles. I was wondering if i should go with a bigger pound test since last year my line broke when trying to reel in a fish couldnt tell if it was a...
  3. Hudson River
    Lets talk fishing line. I am thinking of putting new line on this year instead of having the bait shop do it. I do not even know what they use. I don't think I ever asked. I was hoping to order a big spool from bass pro or some place. So what do you guys use and how do you like it. Thanks for...
  4. The Striper Forum
    In the past I've always spooled the line off the store bought spool by laying it flat on the floor and having the line rotation same as reel rotation. Seems like you still can't get away from line twist no matter what. Just recently saw a youtube video with Shaw Grigsby noted bass fisherman who...
  5. Saltwater Tackle Shop
    I have been fishing for years, but this will be my first year surf fishing. I went out and got a 10 foot medium, Penn battle combo ( didnt want to spend to much as its my first season ) - I put 30 lb mono on it. I have that going to a barrel swivel, then 3 feet of 50lb leader to a snap for...
  6. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    OK! I would like to know if mono line is the taboo, caveman way of fishing that everyone is making it out to be! I love braid, but I also love mono! I know each has it's merits and it's flaws! Personally I like using mono! But from 99% of the fishermen out there, I'm stupid if I don't go to...
  7. Hudson River
    So we all have our favs, and ask 10 diff guys what they are using and you may get 10 diff answers. I'm just curious what mono you guys are using ? (I know some use braid but just want to hear about mono) thanks. icon_wink.gif I have only tried a couple different brands over the years ... Gama...
  8. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    Hi I'm looking at putting 2 swivels on my line and didn,t know if I would run into problems for instance barrel on my leader and snap lock on my main so I'm not tieing bunch knots in the ocean. Also can you clip 3 way swivel to a snap. Looking at setting up my rigs at the house. For stripper...
  9. Buy - Sell - Trade
    I have 2 of these in stock, they are the 6/0 Bronze Spool Special Senators, $199.95ea. Monel spooling available at discounted rates with purchase. Shipping is included to any of the 50 states. Call the shop for details or to place an order. Penn Bluewater Carnage wire line rods in stock as...
  10. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    I am currently using Ande Mono 30 lb clear leader line. After attaching this line to a in line sinker and the other end a swim shad rubber bait this line does not hang strait. It is curled. Is this normal for Mono Leader, I know mono does stretch. How about Fluro leader, would I have the...
  11. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    What is everyone using to avoid cuts? I have used the sports tape, off shore gloves from bass pro. Thanks
  12. Chesapeake Bay
    Hey guys was wondering if any one has a suggestions on how to keep the main line on my planer boards tight while trolling. My main line is about 75 feet and seems to get a lot of slack in it while trolling. when the line is loose it makes my rod lines jump ?? Is this correct?
  13. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    I am casting 20 lb power pro braided line with a 10.5 surf rod 40 yds or so. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do differently to avoid my line from unwinding from reel and or getting knoted. What a pain.
  14. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    What is a good braid line for light tackle?
  15. Massachusetts
    if you don't have downriggers available to you...you're left with jet divers and weights right? i can't find lead-core line at the big tackle places (cabela's, dick's)...prob need to go to a specialty shop. the kid at Dick's didn't even know what i was talking about...kept pointing to...
  16. The Striper Forum
    Hello! At what point or amount of line out does the general crankbait no longer gain depth? I would assume that somewhere prior to 100' of line out that the crankbait would no longer gain depth, just distance away from the boat. Is this correct? Thanks! Andy
  17. Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
    I am new to surf fishing so I may be doing something obviously wrong but I have lost two lures on back to back weekends due to my line breaking during casting. The first time, using braid line connected to a 15" fluorocarbon leader throwing a 2 1/4 oz plug. The line broke right at the albright...
  18. Striper Guides & Charters
    We will be running Open Boat Livelining for Stripers 3 pm-9 pm this week on.the following nights...Mon 6/11 Tues 6/12 Wed 6/13 Thurs 6/14 I may be running them on Fri and sat night as well, but i may be fishing the Brent Bailey Mako Rodeo.....will know by Wed if we have a crew for that or not...
  19. Cape Cod Canal
    I regularly fish the canal mostly every other week and for the past year ive been losing gear just about every time i go out. whats the best type of line to use? i have heard braided is the best because of the rocky bottom...just wanted to know what you think.
  20. Striper Guides & Charters
    We will be running Trophy Striper Trips for the month of June out of Sandy Hook on our 32' Blackfin and from Manasquan Inlet on our 28' Saifish center console powered by twin 225 HP Yamahas getting us to the fish quickly....and sometimes the bite is literally minutes from the dock! Here is the...
1-20 of 174 Results