Baitcasters and Backlashes - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Baitcasters and Backlashes

How many of you have given up? Your baitcasters are collecting dust in the garage or shed because you cant deal with the backlashes.
I found a decent tutorial online for some tips on using baitcasters. Educating your thumb.

http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com...setup-101.html

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/page7.html
Tips :
  1. "The reel should be vertical, with the handle facing up, at the end of the cast".
  2. Heavy line on the reel is easier for a beginner to practice with.
  3. When spooling the baitcaster, you want the line to go on the reel in same direction it was wound on the spool. Reason being, the line has a "memory.
  4. You need to work on when to release your thumb from the spool during the cast, and when to place your thumb back on the spool. These are the two things you need to learn, and having the tension knob set tight will reduce the number and severity of birdsnests you get while you are waiting for your thumb to get with the program
  5. When trying to work out a backlash most people just start pulling line off the spool and it will get stuck every time. Rather next time try tightening your drag up and hold your thumb firmly on the spool and wind the reel a few times. This will tighten the line from the inside out. Next carefully pull the line off the spool until it snags and then once more hold your thumb or thumbnail on the spool and give it a few turns. This will help keep the line from digging in on it's self
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Baitcasters and Backlashes

after a few years as a baitcasting snob, i've accepted that there are some times i prefer a spinning reel..

one of the things that i think is a big issue with most folks has nothing to do with the reel.. with a spinning reel, an abrupt snap cast works fine... it's a disaster with a conventional.. think long slow motion with a baitcaster and really let the rod do the work.. slllloooowww dowwwwnnnn
Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumb-burner View Post
after a few years as a baitcasting snob, i've accepted that there are some times i prefer a spinning reel..

one of the things that i think is a big issue with most folks has nothing to do with the reel.. with a spinning reel, an abrupt snap cast works fine... it's a disaster with a conventional.. think long slow motion with a baitcaster and really let the rod do the work.. slllloooowww dowwwwnnnn
Yup, yup, Exactly what TB said

Balanced out on a rock, waist deep on a bar, anytime the wind is honkin in yer face especially if you have to throw smaller baits - all good times for spinning gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
First Mate

I have never had any problems casting a baitcaster or an open face conventional reels. It just came natural to me, while I have seen others struggle. Best way to learn is casting a squidder with a metal spool.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCaster View Post
Best way to learn is casting a squidder with a metal spool.
You mean a metal, as in aluminum, spool right??
The steel and chrome spool is for boat dropping, they made the plastic spool, later the plastic finned spool and even later the aluminum spool (140L) for beach casting.
That steel and chrome spool is a nightmare for the best casters, asking a beginner to learn with it is like asking him to learn to hit a curve ball then have Pedro Martinez pitch to him
Old 04-01-2007, 07:56 PM
First Mate

The way I learned it was on the metal chrome spool that started with the surfmaster to the squidder. I just didn't know better back then, but I did learn how to cast well.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
The way I learned it was on the metal chrome spool that started with the surfmaster to the squidder. I just didn't know better back then, but I did learn how to cast well.
LOL!! So did I! An ancient Surfmaster with a chrome spool on a 10 1/2' Yellow Fenwick. Still have both although the Fenwick's been converted to a pencil popping spinning Rod and you wouldn't recognize the Surfmaster with all the modifications
If the rod wasn't so sweet a caster that chrome spool might have made me pack it up back then.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
First Mate

I have all but given up on the conventional reel. It's a big BUT though.

I have a 5501c3 Ambassaduer, on a 10 foot Sealine-X I like. But for situations where I need more, I have a 10 foot Tica with a Squidder. The Squidder...I doesn't like me. I think my biggest problem here is line management.

I am thinking of a 6500 (Or 6501) Although right handed, I do reel with my left. I would like it to plug down the Canal primarily.

Any suggestions in this area are more than welcome.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:21 AM
First Mate

The 6500 C3 in either left or right are good reels for plugging. If you do need distance then the 6500 CS Pro Rocket in my opinion is a better caster.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
LOL!! So did I! An ancient Surfmaster with a chrome spool on a 10 1/2' Yellow Fenwick. Still have both although the Fenwick's been converted to a pencil popping spinning Rod and you wouldn't recognize the Surfmaster with all the modifications
If the rod wasn't so sweet a caster that chrome spool might have made me pack it up back then.
I still have the chrome spool for the 200. Rod busted on a big striper years ago. I guess you have one nice reel that is worth a bit more than the original surfmaster.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
The 6500 C3 in either left or right are good reels for plugging. If you do need distance then the 6500 CS Pro Rocket in my opinion is a better caster.

Agreed..
Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
First Mate

Thank you gentlemen.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 PM

My two favorite conventional plugging reels, and I do a lot of it, are the Abu 6500 Mag Elite and the Shimano Calcutta 400Te - both with levelwind.
I've also heard good things about the Daiwa Luna 300 but haven't had a chance to throw one yet

For weight n bait i like the 7000 size Abus, tweaked out 146 Squidders and I finally got to cast the Penn 525 Mag - WOW ! Probably my next purchase.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 PM
First Mate

I don't know why I thought the Ambassaduer I have was a 5501...But it is a 6501. It is the c3. Anyway I was throwing some weight with it today. Much better than the Squidder. Day and Night.

I think it is too small for the Tica I have though. But That is just a matter of getting the model that matches up with that pole.

Damn squidder almost got me to forget I did in fact enjoy the conventional reel altogether....

I feel much better today.

I dunno what folks at Jamaica Pond thought seeing me with a 10 foot rod. But it was fun. I was happy with my casts. What else could I ask for other than fish?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Official Member

Good post. Also, When untangling a birds nest, look tighten gently till you see the small (loops), pick these out and pull line gently as you go. Depending on severity of nest, it could take awhile, but have PATIENCE. Cheaper than stripping and replacing expensive line...............