High tide shore fishing the Hudson-night vs. day? Depth? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Default High tide shore fishing the Hudson-night vs. day? Depth?

While I understand it is generally the hour before and hour after high tide that is the preferred time to fish for Stripers on the Hudson, I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on if it is worth it to fish from shore at those times when the high tide coincides with the bright, sunny parts of the day? An employee of Ceely's Bait Shop mentioned something to me about the stripers' eyes, that their pupils are unable to constrict in reaction to increased brightness and that this affects their daytime behavior, perhaps driving them into deeper water at such times, making areas like shallower flats less desirable. I know of some areas where the water gets pretty deep right off shore, but not as deep as those areas accessible by boat. Just figured I'd throw this question out to the Stripers247 community, thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Official Member

I would think during earlier spring the high tides at mid afternoon are better because the water warms faster. But maybe as the season goes on it might have a reverse affect?

Hows the fishing been by you? Ive been hitting the river with hardly little action past 2 weeks...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Striper Hunter

It has sucked big time-Po'town to New Windsor, east shore, nada. I believe in "putting your time in", but this is getting ridiculous. Bloodworms (Outrageously expensive), live herring, chunks, it seems a Shorebound fella can't catch a break-caught a nice 7-8 lb. channel cat, but that's it. Total doo-doo. I guess it can only get better, but I'm starting to get sick of this "it can only get better" stuff. Frayed ends of sanity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 01:34 AM
Striper Hunter

I meant west shore, my brain is fried from the boredom!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:21 AM
First Mate

Frayed ends of sanity! [/quote]

" Hear them calling....hear them calling me!"
Old 05-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Official Member

Hello guys, I went to Plum Point 3 times so far, caught 2 small ones, the biggest 12". Sunday, I saw a few guys with some nice fish one looked almost 20 lbs. I however had nothing at all Sunday, fished the afternoon outgoing tide.
Mike
Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Lunker

Default Re: High tide shore fishing the Hudson-night vs. day? Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebound
While I understand it is generally the hour before and hour after high tide that is the preferred time to fish for Stripers on the Hudson, I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on if it is worth it to fish from shore at those times when the high tide coincides with the bright, sunny parts of the day? An employee of Ceely's Bait Shop mentioned something to me about the stripers' eyes, that their pupils are unable to constrict in reaction to increased brightness and that this affects their daytime behavior, perhaps driving them into deeper water at such times, making areas like shallower flats less desirable. I know of some areas where the water gets pretty deep right off shore, but not as deep as those areas accessible by boat. Just figured I'd throw this question out to the Stripers247 community, thanks for any input!
Shorebound, On Sunday when we were out, had a lot of chatter on the radio and a lot of guys were catching fish in only 7 feet of water and it was 9 a.m. in the morning with bright sun. Go figure, I guess the stripers were laying in the warmer water. Yeah I know, it doesn't make any sense. You would think they would head for deeper water on a bright day. I don't know. I'm still learning just like everyone else is I guess. I'm beginning to believe more and more that technique and a lot of luck go hand in hand.