August trip, looking for surf suggestions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Official Member

Default August trip, looking for surf suggestions

I'm heading East in August for 2 weeks to attend a wedding in Portland and spend some time with the in laws. Will be moving around from Berwick, to Portland, to Lincolnville.

I'm a fly angler living in trout country, but used to be an avid west coast/delta striper angler. Still have my 8 weights, clousers, and the works.

I'm hoping to get to sneak out for a couple of surf sessions and would love to find a beach that would allow me to target some fish along the way. I've been told look to target a couple of hours or so below low tide, ideally at low light in August.

Crabs, clousers, and big feathery baitfish?
Will I want waders this time of year?
If striper fishing is off, will mack's be viable from the beach?

Thanks for any beta, happy to reciprocate if anyone is ever out in the Yellowstone/Teton area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Official Member

Default Re: August trip, looking for surf suggestions

You will definitely want low light conditions in August, water is usually cold so if you're going to be fishing for any length of time, bring your waders. Not likely you'll get mackeral from the beach. Try beaches around Scarborough, Old Orchard area. Always had good luck there in August