Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Best time for fish and baits to use to Striper?

16K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  CABCAF 
#1 ·
OK guys, i am going to Virginia Beach soon to go after some stripers for the first time. I will either be fishing from a pier or from the surf. I am wondering what would be the best time for me to go and what type of bait would you recommend? Thank you for your help

#3 ·
alright look im a noob like you too but from the little bit i know, late night and dawn i believe are the best times however, experiment because you might get lucky during the day. As for bait if you are going at night, eels are the way to go however, if you have never used them before and you're going to be out on a dark pier, they will be tough to use because of how slimy and slippery they are. Otherwise, bunker is always a good choice. If they have it go fresh rather then frozen. Other possible choices are squid, clams, or mackerel. I would ask the local bait shop owners what they think. These guys are usually very knowledgeable of the local areas and what to fish with. ABOVE ALL!! everyone just keeps telling me experiment and stay at it no matter what.

#4 ·
GET ON A BOAT!!!!! Big striper rarely get close enough to shore for the surf or peir... There are inexpressive make up charters right now out of Rudee inlet.. Wait till just after the 1st then ocean season is on and its hot up there already.. 1 yr salt water license is only 25 bucks get one.. We just got back from fishing west side of Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and had a blast.. on Eels.. Take lots of rags the eels are a bit tough to deal with.. Hook them through the chin and out the nose and put them directly into the water or they will wrap up around your hook.. GO get um

Jeff

:icon_thumright:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.