Horseneck Beach/Gooseberry Island area - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Hey bait.........

Clambellies are so inexpensive here in Rhode Island that i usually take a couple of gallons up the beach with me.....and 90% of the time, i throw about a gallon into the sea. I always wondered how much Havoc went on after i left, i mean between the seagulls and the huge ball of clams floating around, maybe i should hang out for an hour and fish hahaha.

In any case....Clambellies are "Window" Bait.....you only have a small window to use them when they're fresh. first of all....if you throw a Clambellie in water and it floats...its gone bad and no good to use. Freezing them only works when you get them fresh, freeze them in a Brine solution, and slow thaw them in the fridge for about a day. I'd say that you have a good 6-9 hours when they're fresh, to fish them when they're good. after that they start to completely lose their consistency, and are a bitch to keep on the hook through the cast. The best Belly will be hard at the meat and still have the gooey stuff to weave and tease. I've had to use the "Mush" a whole bunch of times, if their still ok, they still work. You CANNOT "refreeze clambellies.

I can get Clambellies here in rhode island for $5 for 5 gallons. then i bring them home and split them into "one trip" bags or containers. use one fresh one and freeze the rest.

hope this helps a little my friend.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Briggs,
Thanks so much for the advise. I'll have to give em a try next time I go. I hope the weather isn't too nasty this weekend. Seems like we have good weather all week then the weekend rolls around and it rains. I don't mind fishing in the rain, but it would be nice to actually catch something. Maybe between trying clambellies and moving to a little different location I can get some action. Been chatting with The Riddler about kayaks, thinking of doing some demos and maybe picking one up soon if I can find one that won't break the bank. These big yaks are a whole different animal than the little whitewater toys I played with as a kid on the Missouri rivers. Can't afford much right now, but something like that would at least allow me some mobility and access to some spots I can't reach right now.