York, Maine?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Default York, Maine??

Hi all. I've got a few Questions for you.
I am going up to York, Maine the weeek after the 4th of July. Well we will be staying across from the water. Anyway. I purchased a 7' Blue Breaker rod reel combo. The rod is M.H. the reel has 15 lbs. line on it.

Will this be a good setup? Or should I get something else.
What size/type line would be good?
What type of bait/lures would be a good choice?

Well that is my starter questions . I have never shore fished in saltwater. I've gone on charter boats where they supply everything.
I am an avid Freshwater fisherman though.

Thanks to all that reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 01:40 PM

Hi npike
Glad your aboard. That set up seems fine for what your doing. You may want to upgrade the line to 20 pound test. Not entirely necessary though. Also have a look at this thread. https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewto...1cec33dbcb2b2a

It has an approach to catching a striped bass. Well more of a primer on how to set up.
Bring those freshwater skills to the surf. Then the only thing left to do is find a spot where they are lurking.

Once you hook into a rather large fish you'll want to go back bigger loaded for bear. Good luck.
Baits in Maine are probably mackeral and cut herring at that time.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

pm me about your trip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 10:50 PM

hey Zim you got some deep dark secrets about York Beach? Remember I'm only 25 mins from there........funny though I've never fished ovah the beach there, more fun lettin the kids run up and down the beach
Old 04-25-2005, 04:26 PM

Welcome to the site npike!! I personally would prefer somthing a little bigger like a 10 footer, but im sure you could make a 7 foot work. Other wise everything sounds good.

Good Luck

PS: Make sure to post your reports on how you do im interested in hearing how the fishing is up there
Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

The 7', in my opinion, may be a little short for surfcasting in July. But it could work. During the Fall Run, I use 7 footers primarily, bur the fish are also "running", and are right up on shore at your feet. If you want to heave some chunk bait, I would recommend a 9 or 10' Ugly Stik. However, you might run into some Bluefish there, so the 7' with say a Gag's Bluefish Bomb lure would work just fine. But, I would go ahead and respool that reel that came as part of that combo. I wouldnt trust the line combo's come with ;) If you find some structure, you should find some fish. I would focus on fishing either dusk, at night, or at dawn (twilight hours). If you have access to wood plugs like Danny's and Pencil Poppers, the Blurple (black/purple) and white colors will be a good start. Also, if there's Blue's around, make sure you have some steel leaders, or else you can kiss your new topwater plugs goodbye lol.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:29 PM

once the sun starts to set the fishermen come out on long sands. not to sure what they're using for bait, but you can head over the Kittery Trading Post and buy some frozen herring or mackeral. Make sure you get some of that Goldenrod taffy too
Old 04-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i long for long sands. hope i can get up this summer

Old 04-26-2005, 04:35 PM
First Mate

This is what I have. Basically my wife and her mother are getting me what I can use for both Saltwater and Freshwater.

The 1st is a Blue Breaker 7' MH action rod/ spinning reel combo.
15lb line is gone.
The 2nd is a Shakespeare ALPHA 7' M action rod w/ a Alpha bigwater 70 spinning reel.
The 3rd is a Shore Master 5'6" spin SMBS-R 561 no reel.

I am very appriciatve of the gifts. I am just wondering if these will be good for Surf Fishing.

On the MH rod I put the Alpha 70 with 25lb line. On the M rod I put the Blue Breaker reel with 20lb line.

On the 3rd rod the 5'6" what type of reel should I get.

These were all purchased froom Dick's Sporting Goods. I know the are not top of the line but hey the thought was there.

I can borrow from my brother a 10' and 12' rods. These rods may be longer. He used them at the Cape and caught NOTHING.
The ones my Wife and M.Inlaw got me I can use in the CT river with my buddy for Stripers. From my buddies boat. Right????

Sorry if this is long winded.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

buy a reel for your brothers 12ft rod. get a surf spinning reel that will accomodate up to 25lb test and they will range from 40-60 dollars(middle of the road) a tica or okuma will suffice (ask tackle shop) from the shore say on the beach, get your brothers 11 or 12 ft rod and if you put a new reel on it i suggest you fill 1/2 of the spool with 20lb test and add 40lb-65lb braided line to fill the spool as this will give you strength needed to handle big bass and bluefish. you can use a 7ft rod as well for other applications ie; pier/dock/bulkhead/jetty/etc. but take into consideration the lure wt capacity and you really need to know where and what you will be fishing for to administer proper tackle and techinique. best thing is to get where you are going and ask local tackle shop alot of questions. write down a list as you will forget to ask important questions you should've asked prior to leaving his shop. nobody will ever belittle you by your ignorance at any sport. not asking the right thing is what will hamper your abilities at any venture.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:29 PM
First Mate

Sounds good. I have searched the net to see what York beach offers in the way of fish to no avail. I would like to go prepared to have fun and catch some fish.
Does anybody have any sites I could check things out on? I do have 2 months to prepare.

Even a sensible map of the water around the lighthouse would be cool.

thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 PM

Heres a list of maps/charts for the York, ME area...hope it helps... :D

http://mapserver.maptech.com/API/out...List=intersect
Old 04-26-2005, 08:31 PM

Taking a closer look...

I would fish "Cape Neddick"...either the point or beaches on it...

Also I would look at The Cape Neddick River...looks like "Barn Point" and "Weare Point" would be good spots to try...there should be spots farther up river that should produce too... :D

Good luck...
...feel free to ask any more questions about the chart... :D
Old 04-26-2005, 09:34 PM

July 4th you'll be gettin the striped ones pretty good in York, maybe even a couple of bluefish...

hey BB that map thing is pretty cool 8)
Old 04-26-2005, 10:05 PM

That puppy has let me plan many a fishing strategy in the middle of winter, when I get desprate for anything related to fishing... :D