Help w/ quality leader - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 04-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Official Member

Default Help w/ quality leader

I make my own slider rigs and I've been using "Jeros Tackle" leader. I bought it a few years back cause I that's all the shop had and I needed it. I've been using it because I don't like to waste things but I'm definitely ready to throw it in the trash where it belongs. It's 30lb w/ 0.70 mm diameter. High memory and worst of all the knots are horrible.

The only brand of 50 yard mono they had at Dick's was "Ande" which I've never used before. Any opinions?

Also if you guys could list your preferred leaders. Mono in the 30-40lb range. Some links of stores w/ good prices would be appreciated too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Help w/ quality leader

Jeros is the lowest quality stuff you can buy

Ande is fine, I use it myself.
I'm also a big fan of Triplefish, both mono and Flouro
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

your obviously chunking so use fluorocarbon leader as it is not entirely necessary but will be more resistant to abrasion and will not be seen as readily in clear water. yo-zuri hybrid. (30# braid - 25# leader.)...( 50# braid - 30# leader)... (65# braid 40# maybe 50# leader).... if using mono then most of the time doesn't matter. but, i'd pair leader material with the same brand mono just cuz it makes knots better as sometimes one line will tie to fluoro horribly. "in a case with seagar and an unnamed mono" (i don't wan't any backlash from mentioning it). seems i get straightened out alot on this forum (like perhaps now?).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
i'd pair leader material with the same brand mono just cuz it makes knots better as sometimes one line will tie to fluoro horribly. "in a case with seagar and an unnamed mono" (i don't wan't any backlash from mentioning it).
I don't think I've ever tied mono to flouro. Never thought about possible issues tying one to the other but can see where that's possible.

Give it up Zimster - what lines ??
Old 04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

The mono leader i use the most is Berkley Big Game. Never failed me yet and is fairly priced. Seems to me that e-bay offers the best deals.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Striper Hunter

I fish 30 or 40 pound seagar it's stiff but I fish swimbaits and poppers. But give soft steel a try it's really plyable. Softsteel.net
Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I use ande or seaguar. Ande is fine.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I don't think I've ever tied mono to flouro. Never thought about possible issues tying one to the other but can see where that's possible.

Give it up Zimster - what lines ??
all i have to do to get you to come out from under that rock is to test your inquisitive need for facts... lmao..
anyway, i had a goon issue with a swivel tappin the eye one too many times that night. i then used to tie mono to fluoro with a surgeons knot till i learned the slim beauty.. anyway, the seaguar tied to BERKLEY VANISH 20# was a disaster. (come to think of it> it's fluoro that stuff) i had some real bad duds in my time though. maybe the line was old that i bought or just plain sucked.. snapped off at the knot once but then again somewhere else and again on a fish. i know that knot was perfect but not sure if it was the leader or the line i hated more at the time. but i avoid using seaguar for just that reason. thanks for racking my little brain so's i can rehash the memory..... always finding ways to make me pay huh sudsy wudsy...

Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 AM

I like my rock, it's a happy place

I can guarantee it was the Vanish - I HATE that garbage.
I spooled two reels with it and those spools cost me a fishing trip in Florida.

I had one day to go out, fished a little pier in the back on a canal.
Had a few fish on and every single one snapped the line, and not at the knot, rather right in the middle. It felt like it was old and brittle, impossible since it had just come on the market.

Never again
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don't ask me why i still have some of it...but,
seems appropriate to hand it to you when you arrive in the coming weeks.
blasko called me and was asking if you guys were coming up for the next souar'e? i told him you'd prolly have something planned as sudsy genuinely hates zim...lol. May 16th. gives ya time to plan a reason to miss it. frankly, i don't think the weather pattern will pan out from now until then "if you don't count bluefish". your end will be sufficient for a bite but here may have some doubts as there is not a big influx of bunker as of yet. i don't wanna be a kiljoy or nothin but i predict some skunk in the next week or so here. sorry to get off track.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:37 AM

That's a Sunday
Which is good because I organize a beach cleanup that's taking place Saturday May 15th.

Trust me Zimster, it ain't you - I've only been out 6 times this year and it's looking like I'll be out even less in the coming month or two.
Found a leak coming out from under a wall - turns out the pipes in the house are shot to hell - have to do a double bathroom replacement + new hot water heater. A plumber just left a few minutes ago.

Please kill me
Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

ha ha. it's really the 15th and in the evening. sat nite.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Official Member

Thanks to all for the info!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

sorry for the half arsed jack of the thread keith,,,, hope everyone gave you some insight but..

Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 PM

Andes leader wheels are pretty good when you dont have to get the flouro. I use it all the time.
Yozuri flouro is a little cheaper than Seagar and is nice and supple.