Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Smith Mountain Lake

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  The Striper Whisperer 
#1 ·
Hello to All,

I am brand new to this forum. I came accross this site when googleing "how to catch stripers at Smith Mountain Lake." My buddies and I have rented a house at SML (accross from the dam) in mid May of this year. We go down once a year to fish and get away from the wives for a while. We normally target bass and pan fish just for fun, but I recently went out striper fishing (charter out of VA Beach) and I am hooked. I see that SML has a striper population and would like to know if any one has any knowledge, methods or baits to catch stiper at this lake. I have a small bass boat (16ft) with a 9.9hp we will be bring with us. I have a few 7ft rods that are stout that could probably handle a bigger fish. I have them rigged with 20lb mono. I am a complete novice when it comes to striper fishing so any and all advice is welcome. Bait, lures, weights, time of day, or pretty much anything that may be pertinent. We will also be fishing off the dock in the cove we are staying in. The only thing I have found is charters and I'mnot sure my group would want to charter a boat. Thanks for the help in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.