shad at smith lake - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Alabama Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Talking shad at smith lake

Does anyone know a good place to find shad at smith lake? I've brought some from g-ville and weiss, but by time I got there with them, they had lipstick.(small boat, small livewell/bait tank) I know that Speegles marina used to sell them. I dont know if they still do, or if they are still in business. Seems like they were about $14.00 a dozen three or four years ago. Any info would be really appreciated. Maybe I can be of some help to someone wanting to fish NE al.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Official Member

Default Re: shad at smith lake

Arly Feed and Seed has Black Salties for $1 each. I have a place on upper Brushy and I am new to Smith Lake. Any help on locating the stripers would be appreciated. I have caught smaller stripe on lights in Brushy at night on big crappie jigs.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Official Member

I myself have never fished Smith lake. But it sounds like what you need is a good recon mission. If you ever need someone to ride along one day and see if we can find a good spot I will gladly volunteer. I would not mind getting some good info on some other lakes myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Striper Hunter

I don't get to fish Smith as often as I'd like to, but when I do, it's usually Ryans Creek.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Official Member

Hi, I was a fisheries biologist for Alabama Power Company for 30 years and know most of the lakes and rivers in the state. I am sure there are many sheltered inlets on the lake to get shad but here is what I do. I have Super Bait TankII in my boat, large tank at my home and a portable take in back of my truck. I generally go to Logan Martin Tailrace or Weiss Tailrace with 5 gal bucket and cast net. Load up enough for fishing trip or stock tank at home. Although the size shad is dependent on the time of the year, you can always get some shad at these locations.
Smith is just so clear and nutrient deficient to load up like you can from waters on the Coosa River.
Edlite
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDLITE View Post
Hi, I was a fisheries biologist for Alabama Power Company for 30 years and know most of the lakes and rivers in the state. I am sure there are many sheltered inlets on the lake to get shad but here is what I do. I have Super Bait TankII in my boat, large tank at my home and a portable take in back of my truck. I generally go to Logan Martin Tailrace or Weiss Tailrace with 5 gal bucket and cast net. Load up enough for fishing trip or stock tank at home. Although the size shad is dependent on the time of the year, you can always get some shad at these locations.
Smith is just so clear and nutrient deficient to load up like you can from waters on the Coosa River.
Edlite
Thanks for the advise. I have tried to do the same. I had a 2 tanks(about 150 gal. each) at home in my shed, and I used coolers with baitwell pumps in the back of my truck. That worked good with cool water, but could'nt keep shad healthy when the water warmed up. I was spending a fortune hauling shad, buying baitsaver, and such. Not to mention all the time invested. It was just to ineficeint for me. I have heard of other people doing this, and doing it well. Are there some tricks I'm missing? like a cheap way to condition the water, or a formula for shad to gallons combined with oxygen to temp. ratios? I guess i'm stuck with collecting shad before EACH trip.