Cherry Popped. Striper on Western South Shore - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Cherry Popped. Striper on Western South Shore

After a week of coming up completely empty off the Western South Shore (Long Beach, Atlantic Beach) i have finally popped my surfcasting cherry when i caught a small striper this morning off the Atlantic Beach (Rockaway Inlet) Jetty. I was fishing into the beach side of the jetty when i caught a little guy after 3 hours of casting. Going back out tn in a few to hit the high tide with the new bottle popper i picked up at the local tackle shop. I was using a KastMaster with white bucktail when i hooked the guy. It was my first and only hook of the day and i was out for 4 hours and used the kastmaster, diamond jig, and soft shad. I must be doing something wrong. I don't think i have my reeling technique down yet. I drive a black tacoma with oversized tires. If anyone on the forums sees me out fishing feel free to say hey and give me some tips as i just started last week and caught my first fish today so i could use the help. Case in point, I've noticed i'm the only moron who brings a tackle box out on the jetties with me! Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Cherry Popped. Striper on Western South Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfboyP View Post
I was using a KastMaster with white bucktail when i hooked the guy. It was my first and only hook of the day and i was out for 4 hours and used the kastmaster, diamond jib, and soft shad. I must be doing something wrong. I don't think i have my reeling technique down yet. I drive a black tacoma with oversized tires. If anyone on the forums sees me out fishing feel free to say hey and give me some tips as i just started last week and caught my first fish today so i could use the help. Case in point, I've noticed i'm the only moron who brings a tackle box out on the jetties with me! Thanks everyone!

That's a great combo, Kastmaster/ buck or Krocodile/buck. The fat shape of either resembles a peanut or mullet which are around now in addition to the spearing. IMO it gives the fish a bigger profile to key in on in turbulent water or water after a storm.

That area you are fishin has some great potential. Don't want to get into more detail for the lurkers. I'll just say now is the time to use darters in the current at night. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

keep at it. tomorrow afternoon at about 2 or 3pm give it a go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 AM

trolling on my buddies boat after dark. tonight! 10/20/09

Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
First Mate

Nice fish man!!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Official Member

congrats...that is a nice looking bass
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Quote:
Case in point, I've noticed i'm the only moron who brings a tackle box out on the jetties with me! Thanks everyone!

Get youself a tin pouch(aquaskins sells one fairly cheap) and a surfbag.These can get expensive but you can find no-name brands that go over the shoulder and just carry plugs for about $20.00. Sooner or later that tacklebox will go in the drink, plus you'll navigate the jetty better with less bagage! Tight Lines!