Newbie to lures, comment on my selection - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Newbie to lures, comment on my selection

From LI, new york. Sorry for the bad picture its been raining for weeks and i dont have good lighting. I only started out with a smaller rod with hopkins and surface popper with a swimming lure. I then started using surf rods (9-10ft) for bait use and lures. Well, i got sick of using bait, i felt like it was a waste of money and whenever i try it things always seem to go wrong and its not worth the headache. So i only had a hopkins and a small bucktail, and bigger swimbait. The large bucktail is way to heavy to cast. The ones in the boxes i just bought, i was looking to mimic the local baitfish so i avoided all the bright colors. I dont really know the significance of the bright colors and im surprised it dosnt turn the fish off. Id just like comments on what i have and what im missing and any suggestions, i kind of want a "complete set" and im not looking to carry alot of lures. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lures.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	11220  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Newbie to lures, comment on my selection

All good and all will work I would add a couple of pencil poppers in there and maybe a metal lipped swimmer. Oh yeah you need a Redfin.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Striper Hunter

can you provide examples? and redfin? sorry im new to this, its gonna be fun trying these out for the first time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

scale down the bucktails to 1oz and 1 1/2 oz and see if you can't get the red and white grub tails the montauk guys are fond of.
a 1oz kastmaster size for smaller fish as you gotta take what the fish gods will give ya at any outing.
5in. pearl storm shads.
3-4 in. bass assasins for close fish in the wash. they work better than storms in some instances as the tails don't have the erratic bounce to them. can't tell ya why just need them.
if your into bluefish and only bluefish you will learn quickly that an arsenal of tins and poppers are then dispensable as they will all be lost.
get some wire leader (and a heavy gauge coated one) and crimp an 18" section onto a Krockodile in a very large size and a swivel on the other end. this will catch every bluefish your heart desires to catch without losing it.
get several poppers and keep a few with you as you can lose one or two to choppers.
some slugg-o (black)in the 9 inch size and you can sometimes cast em into an inlet or jetty without weight.
a trebble hook in the large variety and also a steel leader on that sucker.
snagging bunker and livelining can be a mind f#*K.
small 1/2 oz sweedish pimples are another thing to have on hand.
they sometimes will outfish everyone else on the beach. i won't say anything about color other than any color is fine as long as it's white...
"i hadda say it jim"
more will follow, i am just scratching the surface..

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Striper Hunter

Ive seen the kastmasters and they peaked my interest, but always used hopkins. Are you suggesting a smaller one for smaller fish or do you prefer the kastmaster over the hopkins? Also if i were to pick one up, do you prefer the tube, or bucktail one? I like the bucktail hopkins as you can see.

yeah that one big bucktail is too big to cast, idk why i put it in the picture, i have the one i just bought and the slightly smaller one just like it. I use the red/white forked pork rinds with them.

Ill check out the bass assasins, i didnt see much of a difference but if the bass assasins provide a better presentation ill go for em. I also use wire on all my lures as im expecting blues, but hoping for a bass.

I mostly fish from about 5pm to just after dusk depending on who im with and such, i imagine the sluggos are only good for after dark? I saw them in the store im guessing i need to get hooks and rig them up on my own? Can i use them while its still light out?

I have a bunker snag and ive been thinking about trying to snag a few and use em as bait, but where i fish there really arnt any bunker, i need to find some back bay spots on the way out. When you say liveline i guess you mean snag a bunker and then just let him swim around until a bass hits? I would love to try it!

Sweedish pimples look odd if im looking at them right, like a longer hopkins?

All the info you just provided me is invaluable and i thank you, i think ill look around for some bass assasins in the bunker or porgy variety and at kastmasters. (i have to admit i see alot of people using kastmasters on the beach but ever since ive been young on the boat me and my dad have been using hopkins)
Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

hopkins has no equal "get it"
i always have a shorty and a couple of them in 2oz 3oz shit, i have a 6 oz hopkins to throw.
get the 5 oz kastmaster and you will just be stunned at the distance with 30# braid.
i forgot what you said in the thread now.
oh, the bucktail is great but the tube i think gets the most hits.
slugg-go's at night but in the day you cannot work them too fast or too slow. it is a freak thing like bucktailing.
you pop a bucktail off the bottom but in montauk you just reel it in along the bottom consistently.
funny thing but i will give you a tip, take the split tail pork rind and with a scissors slice it down the middle and make it into 2. the skinny long one has better action and it makes more tails to fish with.
yellow bucktails in the later part of the day and
white in the early morning is the consensus and when in rome?

Old 06-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Striper Hunter

wow thanks for the heads up about the yellow and time of day. i guess ill pick up a kastmaster or 2 with tubes to offset the hopkins. then maybe yellow bucktails and bass assasins. i thonk ill wait om sluggos umtil a bit later. thanks again!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Very decent start. When Im scratching my head - which is quite often -
I subscribe to the bassdozer method and The 5 basic food groups.

"If I do not know what fish want, then I will deliberately rotate lures from each of the "food groups" until something clicks with the fish. That is, I'll try a predominantly white lure, a predominantly black lure, a neutral-colored lure, a flash lure and then a bold color in rotation. Doesn't matter to me if it is day, night, twilight, sunny, cloudy, calm or rough water, clear water or dirty water, deep or shallow. Doesn't matter one bit..."
Russ Bassdozer

1) Predominantly white or white-bellied lures
2) Predominantly black lures, including black/purple, black/blue, black/red, and other primarily black combos
3) Neutral, subtle, muted lures, ranging from a Smoky Joe pattern on a crankbait, a natural tan-colored surgical tube lure, a translucent smoke-colored soft plastic bait, a transparent plastic popper, or a clear amber darter.
4) Flash colors, including of course tins, chrome-sided plugs or those with metallic inserts, or soft plastic baits that are fundamentally clear and laced with heavy doses of metal flakes in the soft plastic. By the way, gold flash is a highly desirable color to fish at times...and even copper flash...but there are few copper flash lures on the market.
5) Bold shock colors, the most familiar of which are fluorescent green, hot chartreuse, school bus yellow, fire tiger, and hot pink bubblegum.

Link

http://www.bassdozer.com/surf/surf_f...articles.shtml
Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Striper Hunter

wow, very good link, ill read it when i get home and have more time. i guess eventually i should pick up a few different colored lures. there was this black swimmer with red eyes that really caugt my eye but i decided to wait on it..
Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabba View Post
Ive seen the kastmasters and they peaked my interest, but always used hopkins. Are you suggesting a smaller one for smaller fish or do you prefer the kastmaster over the hopkins? Also if i were to pick one up, do you prefer the tube, or bucktail one? I like the bucktail hopkins as you can see.
Hopkins are definately a great lure.
However, they are only second place.

Seriously, how could one ever live without a complete assortment of the #1... Kastmaster. They work good either way as manufactured, but there's sooo much more to them.

Depending on your rod, get a 2 or 3 oz Kastmaster, replace whatever is on the back for hook with a #7 or 8 and take that plastic eel and mount it on the hook with some glue so it'll swim inline.
The Kastmaster will give that eel more action than a horny man at a nympho convention!

There are sooo many things that a Kastmaster can work with.
Join a 2 oz to a 3/4-1 oz end for end, tie in some rooster hackle on the hook and it's definately a killer squid imitation.

Think out of the box. ()
I keep vidual on Ebay and grab what I can.

Last edited by FLOATSUM; 06-25-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: wrong button!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Striper Hunter

hopkins 2nd place?! ill check out some kastmasters..
Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
First Mate

You can't go wrong if you added a few charlie graves tins like the j7, j8, 9m that swim like baitfish.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if ya wanna get technical about tins in general
tin is tin.
the properties are what attracted fishermen of old to pic tin as it is lighter and swims better than steel.
to this day i swim tin as a go to light tackle proponent.
i have very few left but when used they kick ass.
and i too applaud the kastmaster as a go to fishfinding prospecting method as a lure and a jig. well said gary..

Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
First Mate

First time I heard anyone saying they were light tackle equipment. Well, I will say nothing more on this matter.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:34 PM

I guess the small ones could be considered for light stuff.

I use them to cut through a strong head wind and as a daytime search lure. Or for really nice distance.
I have to try a kastmaster with an eel when conditions are tough. I have the pt jude black fake eel version. Bass dozer also has a wobbly head with a weed guard that has nice action too.