How to cut bonito! need help for tonight! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:06 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Default How to cut bonito! need help for tonight!

Hi All,
We went out charter fishing yesterday and hooked into a Bonito. The deck hands gutted it, disposed of the entrails, cut off the head and tail and put it directly on ice. I need to know how to cut it up since they mentioned I could not fillet it like I normally would due to a side bone? Can I steak it? how would I? (they have mentioned stuffing it and cooking ti whole but I am not comfortable wih that.)

any help is appreciated since I have some folks coming over tonight and want to have it for the Pats game!

on a side note is it possible to eat any of it as sashimi or is that a bad idea? I never understood if you can eat the fish we catch as sushi or if special preparations need to be made!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: How to cut bonito! need help for tonight!

Never did one colad but heres one recipe for todays game from saltwater flies

Grilled Bonito:
One 4-8 pound bonito (or bigger if you can catch one!). One clean grill, good and hot.
Fillet and skin the bonito. Bonito have a row of large bones running down the center of the fillet - I cut around these, essentially quartering the fish. You'll end up with what look like tenderloins - similar to what bluefin cuts look like in the fish market, although on a miniature scale. Once you've got your tenderloins, you're ready to grill.
Brush the hot grill surface with olive oil, and rub the fish with the oil as well. Season the fish well with a bit of sea salt. Place the fish on the grill, searing the meat. Turn and mark each side of your tenderloins on the hot grill. By the time each side has been well marked, the bonito should be done. I like to cook bonito medium rare, like any good tuna steak. There are plenty of folks who like to enjoy a little appetizer of sashimi (raw bonito) served with wasabi and soy sauce, but if you wish to do this be sure to check the fish for any visible parasites in the flesh (I have never found any in the bonito that I've caught), and be sure that the fish is absolutely fresh and has been kept on ice if you plan to enjoy it raw.
Serve your fish with a bit of minted cous cous, or perhaps some steamed tender young potatoes along with a vegetable medley of baby zucchini and yellow squash. A chilled glass of white wine, a cold beer, some good friends, and you're on your way to celebrating one of life's true pleasures; the satisfaction of harvesting one of New England's most elusive fly rod gamefish: The Atlantic Bonito.

link
Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
in awe of real fisherman

Default Re: How to cut bonito! need help for tonight!

Thanks Jim.

In case anyone was wondering, since it was gutted, I just steaked it and crilled it with some Garlic and Lemon. Wow that is a good tasting fish. Like tuna but lighter!