Good reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 AM
First Mate

Default Good reel

So I finally at random had a chance to snag bunker(keep in mind I never caught a big striper or bluefish), and realized how much my reel and rod really really sucks. Actually not the rod so much, but the reel was bad. Every time I snagged a bunker my reel would get very tight and hard to turn and start sticking as the bunker fought me. My arm was killing me trying to turn the handle. The rod bent into a parabola but didnt break with 1 bunker on it.

Now I'm looking into getting a better reel. I was recommended to get the Penn BTL7000 reel(I found it at $100 online). It has 6 ball bearings. I read the more bearings the better the reel.

I would like to know if there is a better reel or reel/rod combo at similar price??

Anyone has this reel? How is it?

I know now if I catch a big bluefish or striper on my current outfit, I would have to spend a lot of time tiring out the fish and myself lol.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement