Remember to take your kids fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Remember to take your kids fishing

The other day I was hoisting a few cold ones with a buddy of mine telling each other some fish stories. I realized that the vast majority of stories I was remembering were Daughter and Dad types. Fishing memories last a life-time. So take your kids and grandkids fishing, every chance you get. They grow up fast. Here are a few of my memories to encourage all fathers (and mothers).

Started my daughter fishing at about 3 in the backyard pond with nightcrawlers and bobbers. At about 5 she graduated to rubber worms and other artificials, targeting LMB. I came home from work one day to find a 5 pound bass swimming in her little wading pool. She was so proud of her catch. I can still see her happy smile and her bright eyed recanting of how she hooked and landed the fish.

About 5 years ago, we were in the middle of a bluefish blitz, catching 10 pounders left and right. I noticed that she had a red welt on the right side of her belly from resting the butt of her rod there while reeling in those crazy blues. I pointed it out to her and asked if she wanted to stop fishing. She said no, I'll just switch to the other side. When that sides sore, then we can go home.

She's 18 now, off to college, and we still fish together, although not as often as I'd like. These days, she likes to show-off her fishing skills to her boyfriends, although sometimes she goes too far. Last summer we had invited her boyfriend to our Maine beachhouse and we were out trolling for stripers. He told us that he appreciated being able to go out in the boat and really wanted to catch a fish since he had never done any saltwater fishing and very little fishing of any type. At one point, a rod doubled over and I knew we had a good size fish on. So I said to her boyfriend, Mike, take the rod. First, she gives me a look like why'd you give the rod to him? Well, he was having his difficulties bringing the fish in. So my daughter is standing there trying to instruct him to "pump the rod and reel on the down-stroke". Of course being a novice, he doesn't know what the heck she's talking about. Finally, she says, give me the dam rod, grabs it from him, and proceeds to land the fish. It was kinda funny, but I felt bad for Mike. Later, I explained she had embarrassed him and that he wasn't lucky enough to have a dad that taught/took him fishing. She apologized.

One of my earliest memories is of my father taking my brother and I fishing. Kept them (sunnies) alive in the tub for days, transferring them to the sink so we could take our baths/showers.

Jerry Mckinnis ends all his "Fishing Hole" episodes with "....dedicated to dad. He always had time to take me fishing".

Thanks for listening/reading my stories. Now, go out there and build your own memories. Feel free to add any father/child stories to this thread to further encourage parents/grandparents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 10:38 AM

Nice story.

I bring my kids fishing as much as possible. I might get out once by myself here, and there. 99% of the time my kids are with me, and they are having so much fun. They love fishing :)
Old 05-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Pro Staff

Can't wait to take my daugter fishing. She's only 8 months old right now, so I probably better wait a while, huh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Veteran

I already did it. well worth it. They never forget. It makes you feel so goooooooood
Old 05-12-2005, 12:44 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Taking kids fishing has to be the most rewarding of all fishing experiences(and some of the most frustrating as well)

My Dad started me at 3 years old and i did likewise with all 4 of mine, but they were not allowed in the boat until they could swim.
each one of them had their joyous moments....and their bummers!
Out of 4 children only one got seasick..the oldest one,and he loved it the most...
One morning myself and the boys (oldest daughter was off chasing boys,the youngest wasnt thought of)) went out mackerel fishing,it was swelly and rough, David(my oldest) was sick as soon i I untied the boat,at the fishing grounds the little guy was jigging them up two or three at a time,all the while needeling his older,helpless brother as he lay with his head over the transome, well eventually the old spirit returned and "ole" Dave rose from the ashes and proceded to bail the Macs. until he was safley ahead in the count... I'll never forget poor Dave sick as any human could possibly be, refusing to let me take him in...he loves fishing that much!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Veteran

I would take my three boys and Two other kids in the boat. By the time I baited the last hook with a worm the first one would be ready to be baited again. I would get back home an the wife would say,didn't you have a great time. I wanted to be striper fishing with the guy's I would just look at her. If looks could kill But now I'm so glad I did it. Now they are my fishing buddy's for the rest of my life.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:25 PM

Sea Sea, you're right. Think of it as an investment that really pays big dividends in the end.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Veteran

A couple for them have their own boats now It's so funny, they fight to be in my boat. The other three follow me in the second boat. They say you were in his boat last time, it's my turn . Just like little kids.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:02 PM

Nice story Tony!

My first fishing memory is with my grandfather at the local trout pond with corn and bobbers :D
Old 05-12-2005, 08:45 PM

My daughter being only 3 years old and my only child...already has her first rod...2 and a half footer. she already casts it like a champ, of course she has a good teacher. She see's pictures of my boat and always asks "i sleep on that boat dad?". she will live on that boat hahaha. she also has the same privaledge that i had when i was her age....an awesome beach house to grow up in. her mind is already filled with memories of last years beach fires and i'm always anxious to take her down by myself for a dad/daughter night. she has no idea how involved i will be in her life.....i stopped being a girls softball coach about 2 years ago and i cant wait till shes that age where i can become the coach again.....of course as we all know, she will want to be a ballet dancer instead hahaha...whatever. ballet dancers smell like fish dont they? if not...how embarressing for her lmao. Pretty soon she'll be baiting her own hook as well as dads....yea right(pipe dream).

My memories of my father are more than incredible and i hold them very close to my heart always. he started taking me fishing in 1967 for Tautogs.....from there it was just adventure after adventure to make a long story short. I owe basically everything i know about fishing to him. i grew up down at my beach house and back in the day...it was a magical place. my daughter gets to grow up in this same magical place....it hasn't changed since 1938.....i can still find my name carved into the bathhouses from back in the day when all i was was a kid trying to pop his cherry every minute of the day......since then i've lost my cherry but i still have the box it came in. hahahahaha !!!!

i love taking kids fishing and showing them the ropes.....

Cuz N Eddy and i will be participating in the Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Assoc.'s "Take a Kid Fishing Day" down here in rhode island on June 18th.....i will proudly be acting as "Mate" on Cuz's boat. this will be a hell of a time for me and Ed....we both love what we do. Mostly the kids are inner city kids that have never been on a boat or close to the water like the way we will take them out......the best thing is that on june 18th...the blues will be all over and we can basically garauntee these kids will be catching something.....that will be my job. i love my job hahaha.

good job to everyone that is doing their best to school their kids in the art of fishing.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 05-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Veteran

My buddy takes his grandson fishing , the first day the kid dosen't want to fish. The second day he talks him into it. He gets a 22 inch salmon and wins the N.H. Winny derby. How do you like that. Boat, motor, and trailer. and a couple of rods and so on.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Lunker

sea sea - that is such a great story! who got to keep the loot though?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Veteran

He won the Jr. div. so he won the prize. His grandfather said they are going to sell the boat because he is to small to have it now. Put the money in the bank for now :?:
Old 05-20-2005, 05:44 PM

My dad taught me fishing. All the stories I remember. Its crazy. One night, Black Crappy school under my dock, fishing till 10 o clock, haha. Great times.

As soon as I get a kid of my own, I plan to take them fishing alot, gives me an excuse to go fishing too! Haha!

I just don't wanna see my kids go through life without an experience like this.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Kev You were born at night, but not last night.