Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Striperholic Anonymous

20K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  WalkDaDawg 
#1 ·
I will post pics and log trips here . Feel free to chime in. I fish Upper bay to Watch Hill . And hope to do The Block this year. Mostly surfcasting, with a rare boat venture here n there with the bro in law. Looking forward to contributing useful info. Stop in often as I will update weekly or daily depending on patterns.
TIGHTY TIGHTY ......... SEE U IN THE SURF

#28 ·
East or West of HoR is usually great in mid weeks of September.
Be prepared for heavy boat traffic (fishermen) and heavy surf casters. If you can deal with this you could be rewarded with great memories. There is a good chance you could run into what we call a hat trick! (Striper, blue, albie ) . Reports as of late are spotty and personally for me my surf casting trips have been mediocre at best. But hey that's why it is called fishing.😎 goodluck

#32 ·
Almost that time boys and girls. After a brutal end of season last year and a unbearable winter I am so ready to get out and scout. Water temps are still low 37-39 but it won't be long before these temps hit that sweet spot 50-55 . Unless you live in a cave off the grid I am sure u know by now that the striper regs were changed. Hopefully we see some DEM enforcing these rules. Last year I personally witnessed boaters docking well over the limit . I am talking a half dozen with one fisherman in the boat ! Won't effect me much as I never keep striped ones. I am lucky if I catch a keeper a week ?. Any hoooo...... This time of year I keep a close eye on temp and scout local herring runs. Once a steady stream of silvers arrive you can bet the bass will follow ...

#37 ·
I am guessing in this coming week we could see the first sea lice bass arrive. If I had to bet on it I most certainly would ! I have been doing some holdover scouting but the fishing is poor and really more just used as an excuse to get out the house. However, I do know that some fish have been caught, but not in any great numbers.
That sweet spot of 50-57 degrees is very close to being a reality. I will be scouting the upper bay shallows religiously with light tackle in the upcoming weeks . My outfit will be a 7 inch rod spooled with twelve pound mono, 1/4-1/2 oz jigs, various plastic baits in white or shad color, 4 to six inch swimming plugs(bomber 15a my fav). A few small buck tails and a 1oz kastmaster and thats about it. I may pick up a dozen blood worms but thats only if the kids are coming.
During the early run I hop around a lot and have at least 4 or 5 spots that I try. I fan cast the area and usually give a spot about 10- 15 minutes and if nothing presents itself I just move on . Shallow moving water around structure near deep channels in the upper bay will hold fish. Local shore fishermen take advantage of this time . In my opinion the Spring run is the best time to fish the upper bay from both shore n boat.

#38 ·
Nothing going on at all

Been poking around my upper bay haunts and there is absolutely nothing happening on the striper front. Have not witnessed any holdovers caught, contrary to all the reports, and very few guys trying . A week ago we were headed in the right direction. But things took a turn in the wrong direction quit fast. A four degree drop in average water temperature and brutal north wind keeping it tough. However, freshwater fishing has been decent with some good size trout I got at Soucy Falls in Woonsocket and a good Largemouth Bass bite at Stump Pond in N. Smithfield. Thank goodness for that.....

#39 ·
Slow Start
I have been fishing Seekonk and Providence rivers religiously for the last week . Pogies were in heavy last two days with breaks everywhere in the water. Reports of some holdovers caught but I haven't witnessed any fresh fish around these parts. West of HOR reports are much more plentiful on the schoolie front. A lot of fishermen out, but not a lot of fish being caught in the upper bay. Things should change soon with the arrival of menhaden. With temps in the seventies this week and fresh bait in the water I am optimistic things will heat up for us shore guys in the upper bay. Tight lines......

#40 ·
Hundred casts

A lot of casting for this one lone schoolie. Upper bay fishing is not great yet. I still do not believe migratory bass have entered my area yet. This fish was fat and around 20 -24 inches. I do believe it was a holdover caught in a spot where I usually don't get holdovers. Who knows! I am on the board though and it was nice to get this fish on twelve pound mono. Once again the bomber 15a Walmart special fooled this fish . I hope this is a sign of more consistent action in the upper bay . Last year my first fish was caught may 5th. Look at the beginning of this thread and it's all there. This year May 7th. Hopefully it's a sign that things will turn on .... We shall wait and see.....😎

Attachments

#42 ·
Thousand cast
Thanks jakeF . Got my first small keeper of the year on ten pound test , from the upper bay shore tonight. Walmart special continues to be my go to lure . If there are fish around they just can not resist it . The tight wiggle and erratic action is just right . I was so frustrated about the last two weeks I bought live bait today . What a mistake!!!! I will never buy bait again from you if you are reading this blog . You are a rip off and no one in the ocean state should get bait from you . I hope Dead, decaying, and small worms are making you rich 😩 Anyway , looking forward to things perking up . Another schoolie was hooked tonight and missed one . Until next time tight lines

Attachments

#43 ·
Midday bite

Good midday bite today upper bay fishing is improving. Multiple dinks were aggressive at low tide today . First time bite has been consistent . Fishing upper bay has taken a turn in the right direction. Same lure with the exception of two that took a pearl zoom fluke ..... About 9 fish caught in 40 minutes . Most in the 20 - 26 range .

Attachments

#44 ·
For everyone that doesn't know yet ..... let me just state that I am a shore fisherman! I frequent upper bay shallows in Spring around bridge structure, heavy currents and channel drop offs located near shore.
I am addicted to consistently catching striped ones with a lure while most are using bait . With that being said,,,, fishing is mediocre at best for me this Spring. Last year was much more consistent and predictable from the upper bay shores. There is plenty of bait (although bigger) in the bay close to casting distance but yet the skunks are adding up. Besides a few decent keepers here n there that I know of, the surfcasting in the upper bay has been slow. Schoolies ( 22-26) have been abundant up till recent days and weather conditions have been brutal for the shore angler. Wind gust for the last three weeks have been in the 10s- 20s at primetime with exceptions .. I will keep fishing though as a popular tournament for me is starting in June and I will start poking around soco for bigger bass and more productive structure. Gibbs needle, boone needle, strike king needles, jigs with plastic, sand eel imitators, swimmers, buck tails and sluggos will reign supreme in my lure choice. Looking forward to better days.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.