River Herring Adoption/ Restoration project - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News Public Access / Politics/ Permits / Conservation Management / News

Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Default River Herring Adoption/ Restoration project

Hi all!

My name is Holly and I am a graduate student working on an MS under Dr. Martha Mather in the Wildlife and Fisheries Conservation program, within the Department of Natural Resources Conservation at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. We're studying river herring restoration in coastal Massachusetts streams as their populations have experienced recent severe declines. River herring are an important forage fish for many recreationally prized marine and freshwater fish and are essential for the ecological health of these systems.

While our focus is on the Ipswich River in northeastern Massachusetts, our study will produce useful information applicable to many rivers throughout
Massachusetts.

In 2006, we radio-tagged 60 river herring, using both stocked fish from the Nemasket River in Southeastern MA and fish caught moving naturally upstream in the Ipswich River. We were able to track the movements of these radio-tagged fish by using stationary receivers located throughout the river. In 2007, we will be tagging river herring from both rivers again, and we wondered anyone from Stripers 247 (individually or as a group) would like to help us purchase a radio-tag to improve our study.

By purchasing a tag, you “adopt” one of the released river herring. You can name your adopted fish, and we will provide you with weekly updates about where your fish has traveled within the river. In the fall once our data collection is complete, we would be happy to come present information about what we learned in this study, and to show you what your fish did in the river. Our project this year is multi-faceted and will include examining the behavior of spawning adults (through both telemetry and kayaking the river looking for spawning fish...let me know if you'd like to go kayaking with me!), gathering data on habitat use and suitability, and determining juvenile production.

The radio-tags can be purchased for $280. I talked to Jim this afternoon and I think he's all set to adopt a herring, but he's going to have to name it! If you are interested, please contact me soon (the river herring will be beginning their spring migrations shortly!) [email protected]. You can check out my website (which i'm still working on...) at www.ipswich-riverherring.com also.

Thank you so much!

-Holly

UMass Amherst
Department of Natural Resources Conservation

Checks can be made out to "University of Massachusetts" and mailed to
Adopt-A-Herring Fund
UMass DNRC Trust Fund
c/o Holly Frank
Department of Natural Resources Conservation
Holdsworth Hall
University of Massachusetts, Amherst MA 01003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: River Herring Adoption/ Restoration project

Thank You Holly

We have adopted a herring and have purchased a radio transmitter for him. We look forward to his progress and your study and thank you for letting us take a look. Lets hope he doesnt get chowed down by Bertha Bass before he can finish his requisite duties.

Perhaps some of our members may want to purchase more transmitters via a herring transmitter fund. Maybe 10 bucks a member?
It will be fun to track their progress and the great work your graduate class is doing.
We still have to name him.
Im leaning towards harry or Henry.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

ill pitch in 20 bucks toward adopting another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 01:50 PM

I got the check for your herring and I'll be sending a reciept soon. Thank you so much for your support!

Dates haven't been confirmed yet, but tentatively we will be picking up our fish from the Nemasket on April 19. Ipswich River fish will need to be tagged before fish are stocked, because we learned last year that fish that get stocked might come downstream and then come back up and get mixed in with the Ipswich River fish so we don't know who is who.

Do you have a preference on having your fish be from the Nemasket or the Ipswich River? Let me know...also, which name should I put on the little guy's adoption certificate?

-Holly