Advice Needed on Getting Bass to Hit - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
swabbie

Default Advice Needed on Getting Bass to Hit

Last Sunday I was anchored up over some structure in Boston Habor and live lining menhaden. There were a lot of blue fish known to be in the area so two of us were using wire line with treble hooks and a stinger hook. One of us was on mono with J two hooks (one as a stringer). We were looking to keep the first fish and then would have switched to circle hooks.

Our menhaden were getting "chased" by big bass but they wouldn't close the deal. Every time the menhaden swam away the bass would just give up. This happened close to the boat and as much as 40 feet away from it. On the surface and 5 feet down. It happened at least 10 times. At first I thought it was the wire leader but the mono fish got even less attention. It was a sunny day and the bait stayed on the surface most of the time but it was only 14' of water. Was it "just one of those days" or is there something I might have been able to do differently? The bass that would see appeared all be at least 35" so it wasn't that they were too small. The baits were pretty large though. Later that day trolling a live bait we picked up one 40" bass. Any ideas or advice are appreciated - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Advice Needed on Getting Bass to Hit

You should have gave them the easy meal. Next time cut one in half and float the head half down. I can almost guarantee this would work. Seems they were hungry but not enough to work for their meal. They usually won't pass up a nice dead juicy head.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Veteran Elite

And for bass fishing live bait don't use wire,steal or even 2 hooks for that matter. If there are blues you may lose a couple hooks and leader (who cares) Use a flouro leader with a single hook. Your bait will swim more natural this way and it won't look like it's rigged for an s&m party
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 PM
swabbie

Thanks that's a good point. We did butterfly one and didn't get a hit but we only kept it out there for a short time. Next time I'll go with a head.

Sometimes I don't have a lot of live baits and can't afford to not rig a stinger when the blues are around. I'll take your advice when I have a good number of baits. That being said, I've got bass after the blues taket the tail off before as well so that can sometimes not be such a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
You should have gave them the easy meal. Next time cut one in half and float the head half down. I can almost guarantee this would work. Seems they were hungry but not enough to work for their meal. They usually won't pass up a nice dead juicy head.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i looked at the conditions that day in your area and i thought hmm> low pressure and a steady barometer "until between 11am and 1pm" and i would venture that was a "window" if you will. i just play with them when it gets ugly like that. get a fly rod (ask roc... lol) they all have eaten well. a jig woulda pissed one off and worked. a slow moving fly can also be a nuisance and get eaten. if they wanted a live bunker they could get one any time they want in that scenario. a diving plug moved beneath the bunker and looking like a different animal is another way to entice one. but sometimes they won't eat as the clock in their head didn't say "go..."
and if i were a bettin man i'd say get out on wednesday up there as i believe from what i saw it will be off the hook fishin.....

Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 AM

Sounds like a classic M&M theory type of day.

You've just eaten a big Thanksgiving meal and yer sitting on the couch with your pants unbuckled. Someone puts a turkey leg in front of you. Are you going to eat it - no
(Zim might but most normal people wouldn't)
Now someone puts an M&M in front of you - will you eat that? Probably.

Next time go with a small bait and lighten up on the hardware.
Lose the wire and snaps, use flouro and no more then a 90# Spro swivel or a Crazy Alberto knot to attach the leader to the line.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Sounds like a classic M&M theory type of day.

You've just eaten a big Thanksgiving meal and yer sitting on the couch with your pants unbuckled. Someone puts a turkey leg in front of you. Are you going to eat it - no
your going to stick it down your pants and zip em up so you can go home with the leg like sudsy would. hey! look at that old man over there with his pants wide open? is he doing what i think he's doing over there?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
swabbie

Thanks for the good advice everone. I think I was too fixated on using the live baits and needed to try some other things out there. Next time I'll give all of the ideas a shot.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfisher View Post
Thanks for the good advice everone. I think I was too fixated on using the live baits and needed to try some other things out there. Next time I'll give all of the ideas a shot.

By all means use live first. That's alway's the funnest. But if their not hitting try the above mentioned.