Joppa flats - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 AM

Default Joppa flats

I want to fish the flats this year. I have never been and I am wondering if it accessable by foot? Do I absolutely have to wade to fish or can I stand on land? I have no off road/over sand vehicle so I have to park and walk. I don't mind walking any distance as long as I know that I can reach my destination without swimming. I have no waders, I will fish in the water in my bathing suit, or jeans depending on how the fishing is lol. I want to take some trips out there before fishing but it's a long ride and if I can't get there that's a lot of gas to use to find out so, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 09:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Joppa flats

Without giving away exact locations, yes it can be done, but unless you know the terrain...it is difficult and dangerous.You dont need an over the sand vehicle to fish the reservation on the Island.. a fedral duck stamp will allow you to spend the night...an the walk isnt all that bad... Of coarse, the res will be closed until late August or until the piping plover chicks fledge..

On the salisbury side, you can work the Badgers and the mussel shoal effectivly from the beach...Dont forget about the mouth of the rive, always a good bet at dead low, the last of the outgoing and start of the incoming...
Old 04-24-2008, 04:26 PM

Well I don't know the terrain, but there is only one way to get familiar with it, and fast, go there at incoming tide at 10pm one night! Well...maybe outgoing tide in the afternoon on a nice day might be a better idea. I fished the jetties last year once without shoe spikes, that was a bad day, a bad bruise filled day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 06:16 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

there are some areas there i checked out last year..and found myself going from waist high water to OMG!!! with one step. find a spot to park and do a lot of searching at dead low durring the day. spot searching a new area at night can be very dangerous. i have no problem telling you that part of my learning of lifes lessons is to SLOW DOWN. i spent many nights in such a hurry to catch the "one" and i quickly forgot how unforgiving the sea can be. safety first, patience and persistance will score the big fish. now that i think back...so many times i walked away from good spots because i was in a hurry and had to find a way to fish better spots, without realizing that sometimes the better spot is just not safe enough to get to alone and on foot. like roc says, there are plenty of areas close to the flats that are easy to fish on foot, and you can get to parts of joppa, but you have to take the time to find a good safe path. currents are constantly changing the bars and holes under the water, so prospecting at low tide regularly durring the day is wise. the fish move around a lot and are all over the river and also out front throught the season. explore as much as you can and give every spot you find an honest effort and eventually the reward will be grand.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 PM
First Mate

Find a fleeting tide on joppa and you can wade out. There
is a decent amount of mudd but you can wade thru it. I would
suggest a set of waders the water is cold.

I've seen many folks fly fishing in the area. I suspect they're
locals and have scouted the area many times. I guess it would be a
case as do as the romans do. Scout the area and find what they found.

--cal
Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

If your going to wade.. wear a belt over your waders, bring along a friend, also a good wading staff is a huge help, bring a compass, fog can roll in and you can become disoriented, a storm whistle is a good thing to have,it could save your life even if you make no mistakes,carry a mirror during the day, a good head lamp at night ... I personally have hauled two people to safety that waded too far and under estimated how fast the tide can come in versus how far they have to walk, I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadnt been in the area, and in close to 40 years of poking around that river I've seen countless other put themselves in perilous situations.... the colder more dense ocean water runs in as the tide turns under the warmer, less dense river water,giving the appearance that the tide is still going out, please pay attention to low tide time tables for mouth of the river, not Newburyport, this will give you a built in safety net to start fishing your way back upriver.....Over the last 10 years there have been 3 drowning all related to wading and or wave action from wading and passing boats...please be careful, pay attention to moon phase, tide hight and the amount of river water coming down stream... no fish is worth dieing for.. please dont become a statistic....
Old 04-26-2008, 06:58 AM

I was j/k about going there at night to scout a spot. From what you've guys have written, I guess I'll wait on the flats. I will have waders this year but I have never been wading. Joppa doesn't sound like the first place to try it. I always scout spots at low during the day. I honestly have NO fishing buddies. I don't know why, I just don't, so bringing a buddy isn't an option for me. If I happen to get a 'yak this year I'll try the flats but this year I think I'll just get used to manuvering in waders.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawMan View Post
I honestly have NO fishing buddies.
Come to some of the gatherings. You will have a mess of instant fishing buddies.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:18 PM
First Mate

Very true Rick... hell last year i didn't know the 1st thing about salt fishing, let alone have someone to go with... now Ive got the greatest mentor and all Ive got to do is help with his hunny do list

100% check out the gatherings and you will have more phone numbers of fishing partners than you could fathom

Bryan
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 AM

Well I was gonna go to the cape gathering but I can't get the time off of work. I have Tuesday and Thurs off instead of Friday and Saturday. Someone here is taking vacation that week/weekend and I need to cover. Maybe next time? How many gatherings are there a year in MA? I'd go to Rhody and NH gatherings if there are any as well.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Wishin i was fishin

Go to the gatherings forum....all of the gatherings that are upcoming are listed there....there are rhodie gatherings, maine, mass, ny, and pretty much anywhere else guys and girls want to get together.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Official Member

Yeah can't wait for the Maine one!