Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

great start to a new season

12K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  deepcreek 
#1 ·
went out and fished the targets in the sound this past Sunday and had a blast. caught over 20 rock and brought in a 19", 21" and a 27". the 27" was over 6 pounds. went out the following day (Monday) and only caught 2. both were under 18". caught all the fish in 10 ft of water with a rattle trap, silver with blue back, 1 once.:flyfish:

#6 ·
I haven't been in a couple weeks. I will be going Thanksgiving weekend and will post a report. I have been catching most of my fish on the south side of the sound between alligator river and the sound bridge. also had a little luck in the Perquimans river. has anyone seen any birds working?

#17 ·
you are better off fishing right here in the Perquimans river. fish around the S shape bridge and the by-pass bridge. head out towards the mouth of the river and fish around piers and duck blinds along the way. Harvey point base is a good place to try. use rattle traps or red fins. if your boat is big enough try the sound bridge and targets in the sound. good luck.

#22 ·
that is the target and there is one two the left of that, most of it has fallen in. there are two more targets in that area which I haven't found yet (underwater) but there are two across the sound that's underwater that I have found and I always catch one between both of them. there is also a sunken barge on the other side. 5 of us went offshore today and limited out on sea bass, also caught blues, flounder and trigger fish. sea bass for dinner tomorrow night.

#24 ·
I haven't bought minnows in years but I use to get them form Larry's just across the s shape bridge going out of Hertford. don't think you will do much with them on Rock. I have bought some hard shell crab and cut it in half or quarters and the rock love it. Ells are good to use at the sound bridge. I got my ells from the beach when I used them. you can also go to Virginia and get them. most of the time I just use artificial baits around here.

#28 ·
if your out at the targets put the bait between 10ft to 20ft. in the river your just going to see how deep the water is where your fishing, just keep it of the bottom. also you might want to invest in a electric filet knife, it will filet a catfish in seconds. cuts right through the skin. first filet the fish with the skin on and once you have the filet in hand you can take the electric knife and filet the skin off. worth the money, about 40 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.