Finding the rips - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Finding the rips

I know that fishing near rips can be very productive.....but how do I actually find a rip? I've heard a ton about Deer Island rip and I've only been out there a couple of times but I can't seem to find the rip. I've glanced at a nauitcal chart of the area but didn't really see anything to out of the ordinary. Could somebody please explain to me how to find a rip and more importantly how to fish the rip (as in which side of the rip, which techniques, etc.) Should I anchor up? It seems kinda hard to keep manuvering your boat to be in the right place.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Finding the rips

If Its the same sort of thing as a river rip, the best parts to fish are usually in front of or right behind them... but they could be different things. I wish i could help more.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:57 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

rips as i know them...and i know you will get a crap load of better answers after mine..any kind of structure under the water...drops..holes..mussel beds..so on snd so on..cause moving water to redirect itself around them..causing a rip...take your boat for example..if you ancor up and notice the moving water swirling around at the back..thats a sort of rip..imagine a large drop or ledge on the bottom...the water is flowing from the deep right into the banking of the drop...the water needs a place to go..the water on the top gets pounded by the "redirected" water from below..it swirls around and such before it corrects its flow...you will se it on the surface...rocks underwater create a barrier in which the water cannot move through..so it moves around...creating a disturbance in flow...if there is baitfish around...they tend to seek shelter in and around structure....structure causes rips..or disturbances in the current flow...baitfish frequently get stuck in the swirling water..making them prime targets for big "lazy" bass...not to mention the richer oxygen levels in faster moving water...fish of all kinds like oxygen....fish in front of and behind the rip.try to present your bait as if it was "stuck" or "sucked" into the rip...if there are big hungry bass hunting there..hang on...i hope i was able to help..i know you will learn more..as well as i..by the time this thread is done.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:19 AM
swabbie

I've found a rip off Deer Island in an outgoing tide. It was holding some decent bass. It's just off ofshore of the "great faun bar". It wasn't a huge rip but the water was definetly disturbed. I saw a charter boat catching keepers in the middle of it but I didn't get any quite that big. I was positioned just outside the inshore edge and couldn't get closer because other boats were aleady there. Sometime there's a rip near the deer island light too but it's very deep there. Good luck!

I'm heading out Saturday night for my first night fishing adventure in a boat. Hopefully I stay off the rocks :)
Old 06-28-2007, 11:19 AM
swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfisher View Post
I've found a rip off Deer Island in an outgoing tide. It was holding some decent bass. It's just off ofshore of the "great faun bar". It wasn't a huge rip but the water was definetly disturbed. I saw a charter boat catching keepers in the middle of it but I didn't get any quite that big. I was positioned just outside the inshore edge and couldn't get closer because other boats were aleady there. Sometime there's a rip near the deer island light too but it's very deep there. Good luck!

I'm heading out Saturday night for my first night fishing adventure in a boat. Hopefully I stay off the rocks :)

Duh - sorry I meant in an "incoming" tide. I just realized I typed that wrong.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
First Mate

Boston fisher. There's also a sandbar coming off point shirley
AKA Winthrop beach that's the beginning area of faun bar.

If you're familiar with the winthrop area, then you know
the sisters. Its a good area tube-n-worm or jigs.

Watch the southeast sister on low tide it gets shallow.
When tide permits that's the side you want to be on.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM
swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcal View Post
Boston fisher. There's also a sandbar coming off point shirley
AKA Winthrop beach that's the beginning area of faun bar.

If you're familiar with the winthrop area, then you know
the sisters. Its a good area tube-n-worm or jigs.

Watch the southeast sister on low tide it gets shallow.
When tide permits that's the side you want to be on.
Thanks for the tip! I've mostly been on the other side so I'll have to try that end of the bar the next time I'm out that way. I'm still new to fishing from a boat so it's been quite a learning process (although a very fun one!).