spinning rod suggestions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Official Member

Default spinning rod suggestions

Hi Folks
First time poster.
A neighbor dropped off a piece of striper the other night and now I'm hooked again!

I've striper fished most my life on the Cape but from one boat or another mostly. Looking to get into surf (canal?) fishing with the grandkids and sons.
I'm looking for suggestions on a good spinning rod and reel for use from the beach or canal side (guessing one rod will do both ?).
My brain cells aren't what they use to be, but if my memory serves me right, we use to use Penn 710's form the boat. The grandkids are not old enough for any big sticks yet so I'm just looking for something for my sons and I.
appreciate any input, Gup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Duke of Fluke

Default Re: spinning rod suggestions

From what I have read on the numerous Striper sites online(and I read a lot) a Penn 710 would not be a good choice for the Cape Cod Canal - I use my 710z for fluke fishing light bucktails - if your fishing the Canal you should really consider using a conventional reel - you mentioned that you have fished in the past so you probably know how to use one.

Do a google search on fishing the CCC and you will get a number of threads going into detail about fishing that area. If you plan to fish the beach/inlets in your area like I do I would simply go with a Penn 704z you can pick up from Fleabay for a few dollars and I use a number of 8', 9' and 10' surf rods with the 704 including sticks made by Okuma(price is right and good quality).
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Official Member

first time poster too are you fishing bait or plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Official Member

Casting from the beach with a headwind, with 5-6 ounces of weight and bait, you need a tall strong rod to get it out past the surf line. Ideally, an 11-12' St. Croix surf casting rod but if 250 or so is out if your range, you can find a nice 11' rod for around 80-100 that is comparable.

For the canal, you want a lighter smaller rod as your going to only need half the distance and your arms will tire having to cast much more frequently due to the current. An 8-9 ft that's light would be my choice.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Official Member

The Mailman to Surfcasting Central
I have fished the Cape Cod Canal for many years.My
Son is as You would say hooked!!! on the Canal.He calls
Me or e-mails Me from work.He calls Me and says. Pops
I will pick You up after work,and off We go.The last time
He said I will pick You up at 1am.We will be there at 2:30am
when the tide is low.
We like to be at Our spot well before first light.We use 10ft.
Surf King Md.to Hvy. by Lamiglas Line 17-40lb Lures 3-8oz.
Our reels are Daiwa Emblem.Between the both of Us,We could
open a fishing store.We have taken stripers out of that ditch
upto 40lbs.Good luck on Your next trip.

The Mailman
Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the replies folks
I picked up 3 package sets,,, penn 8000 w/ 10' rods 20-40 line and 2-6 oz.
they are stiff and "heavy",,, if we get into this a little more I'll probably pick up lighter 11's with a little lighter action. The kit rods will make good chunk bait poles,, I think.
We hit both the east and west ends of the canal around high tide yesterday,,,, skunked
Plan on hitting those tides a couple of times later this week.

Hooked again, Gup
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Duke of Fluke

Doctor Fish wrote:""For the canal, you want a lighter smaller rod as your going to only need half the distance and your arms will tire having to cast much more frequently due to the current. An 8-9 ft that's light would be my choice.""
if your fishing heavy current why would you use "light action" rods? He said he is throwing bait so weight of the rod doesn't matter, you could use a telephone pole and would be better than a light action rod.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Official Member

Thanks Mad
Gup
Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Official Member

new to the site, but not to the canal. A good rod you can buy off the rack is the St. Croix Mojo. Alot of guys switching from conventional to spinning have been buying these. I think its 10 or 10'6 2 piece and from what I'm told won't break the bank.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD 69 View Post
Doctor Fish wrote:""For the canal, you want a lighter smaller rod as your going to only need half the distance and your arms will tire having to cast much more frequently due to the current. An 8-9 ft that's light would be my choice.""
if your fishing heavy current why would you use "light action" rods? He said he is throwing bait so weight of the rod doesn't matter, you could use a telephone pole and would be better than a light action rod.

Not sure I'm reading this correctly but I think what he meant was a "lighter" rod, as in less heavy, not a "light action" rod, as in something you'd throw smaller/lighter profile baits/lures/plugs with. If you're throwing plugs/lures almost anywhere for any length of time, you don't want a big, beefy (heavy) rod or reel because you will tire quickly. If you're chucking bait as I do most of the time, a larger, stiffer rod would more suit your purpose (the majority of the time anyway) because you're not continuously casting over and over again one right after the other. Just my .02, and if I read this incorrectly and that's not what was being discussed i apologize, I just kinda skimmed over it. Tight lines gents, hope you're slaying 'em wherever you are.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Official Member

I like a rod in the 10' range, good all purpose length.
you DON"T want a 14' rod at the canal, some area's have steep banks and little room. depending on your budget here are a couple suggestions. I have all three of the rods I'm going to suggest.
St-Croix MOJO 10'6" 2-6oz around $250
Temple Fork 10'6" 2-8oz $200 " LOVE IT " it's very happy throwing 4 to 5oz
Tsunami Airwave around $150. GREAT rod for the Money.
as far as reels go you get what you pay for.. I have a Diawa Emblempro and a Saltist. Both have fast retrieval speeds, some thing you will really appreciate at the canal. load one of them up with 50lb Power Pro and you will shock your self at how far you can reach out there.
hope this helps.