Stupid Tube questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Lunker

Default Stupid Tube questions

Please bear with me - first year trying to fish for Stripers.
I bought a tube yesterday (kid working told me to go with a red one). It has a small second piece of tube on the end with 2 pretty large hooks. I only tried it (with no luck) with a worm on the end hook - should I put worms on both hooks?
Also the hooks seem extremely large (I think that they are larger than #8). I was thinking of trying to replace them with smaller hooks (they had rusted before I got in from fishing anyway) - anyone done this and can reccommend a different size hook to try?
I was trolling between Andrew's Point and Halibut Point in Rockport, Ma. - maybe thats not really a good place to try the tubes anyway. I still haven't figured out how to identify a Rip yet
Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 05:12 PM
d0eb0y

Default Re: Stupid Tube questions

Im not familiar wit the areas u were fishing, i dont own a boat i do all of my fishing from land. Im sure someone will chime in and give ya some pointers on the tube issue ur having. About the rip. Polarized sunglasses always help when looking into the water at all. They eliminate any glare u may be getting from the sun or even artificial light.

Look for choppy waters,,,areas with a noticeable difference in water color, foam/seaweed/debris movin steadily,breaks in the wave pattern.

im sure ull get some more responses on this one, and better ones at that.
Anyway good luck and i hope u catch a monster in your first located RIP.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:23 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Red has always been a good color for me and this year I've ran both red and orange tubes.....the red being the only ones catching fish. One worm should work fine but if you really wanna add another worm to that second hook and you don't mind putting out the money then I'm sure it couldn't hurt. I wouldn't reccomend it though just because the worms are fragile and tear off the hook easily. I'd try to conserve them. If you have the berkley power worms you can give them a try...never had luck with them though, it seems that the real ones are 100% better. As far as hook sizes goes.....I'd stick with the ones you have. They seem big but a large striper(or even a small one) will have no problem hitting your tube.
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Lunker

I hope to get out again Thursday after work. Guess I'll just clean up the hooks and try it again. This time I think I'll try the back side of Thatcher's Island and maybe Straitsmith Island.
I've got polarized sunglasses maybe I'll pick up on what a Rip is yet
Old 07-15-2007, 07:54 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

always wash down all of your gear after fishing salt water...your hooks and reels will love you for it...i know nothing about tube and worm fishing...sorry i cant offer any suggestions on that...however, if you do a search for "tube and worm" here on the site..you will find a weeks worth of posts to read....enough info already here on the site to turn you into a tube and worm junkie...

also search for a thread title called "reading the water" ...that may help with the rip question....basicaly a rip is the disturbance in curent flow due to underwater structure or holes and drops in the ocean floor...you can see the structure on the bottom by the flow of water on top.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Lunker

Thanks! - I'll do a search for "reading the water" and "tube and worm".
I do wash down all my gear at the end of the day, but the hooks on this tube had rusted by the time I got in from fishing. I had partially filled a 5 gal. bucket with salt water and let the tube and seaworm hang in it when I moved around to keep the worm from drying out - when I got back to my mooring, I took a worm off and saw that the hooks had rust on them already - first time I've seen hooks rust that fast.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

omg, where is roc. doctor! doctor!