Newbie, Where Do I fishing for stripers in long island NY...help !!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Question Newbie, Where Do I fishing for stripers in long island NY...help !!!

Hello all,

I got my first keeper striper in point lookout 3 yrs ago and after that I never get any...=(
Can anybody tell me where is the best surf fishing spot in long island.
And what to use for bite..
Thanks all
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Newbie, Where Do I fishing for stripers in long island NY...help !!!

ide say the atlantic ocean, and bait might be a good idea...

sorry, i couldnt help myself...i really have no idea im not from your area. i can say if you got a keeper 3 years ago at point lookout..ide try again there..im sure if there were fish there 3 years ago, there still is. do you remember all the factors that day you got the keeper..stage of tide, water temp, moon phase, time of day, overcast or sunny..or maybe dark..the available bait in the area at that time...all these factors can play a role as to success...im still learning too. if you poke around here you can find so much info that will help increase you chances at some fish...i can tell you nobody here is gonna just give out thier "spots".....nor should they...you will hear this time and time again...you gotta put in your time.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Newbie, Where Do I fishing for stripers in long island NY...help !!!

Newb. Long Island is a big place. North and South shore have losts of places. All beaches. and parks. Where are you located? You mentioned point lookout thats on the eastern tip off the South Shore.

Point Lookout Map That entire area has bass. Bunker and eels are baits of choice. and surf lures.
You may want to Read around some of the threads in the surfcasters forum. and the midcoast forum

Jones Beach Gilgo. I posted info on it yesterday Here's the thread

Please read posting and you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 PM

Cool Re: Newbie, Where Do I fishing for stripers in long island NY...help !!!

Thanks jimi,
See the problem in point lookout is that place had too much seaweed...
You might not believe it. It is easy to collect 10 or more lbs seaweed each time... So I gave up...
Yeah I know people might not want to share spot..welll I just need to looking aroung.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:34 PM

Smile Re: Newbie, Where Do I fishing for stripers in long island NY...help !!!

Thanks Striperjim.
I'm going to try fishing on north shore this weekend at Crab Meadow park with clam and some artificial baitssee what works.

Thanks again
Eric
Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 PM

Eric. Welcome to the board.

here the thread.
Posting and You

J/k
Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

try topwater fishing when the weeds are thick...dawn and dusk or overcast days...thats what i do when i run into a lot of weeds, i also drifted bait instead of using a fishfinder rig with weight last time i ran into weeds..i put on a smaller than usual hook and burried it in the mackeral chunk in such a way that made it somewhat weedless..it worked pretty well..you cant beat the weeds entirely when its everywhere but it was at a minimum.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks Jim, Next time when I go point lookout i'll try that.=)
Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 PM

Wherever beach you're standing on in LI, whether it's east, west, north or south there's a great spot within 5 miles of you. That spot will change from tide to tide and season to season. The structure that makes the spot good could easily change from one day to another, all it takes is one storm. What you need to do is learn how to look at the water and identify that spot.

Everything you need to know about finding that spot can be learned here, just use the search feature. Some terms to get very friendly with are whitewater, cuts, bars, holes, current and rips.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Thumbs up Re: Newbie, Where Do I fishing for stripers in long island NY...help !!!

Hi Sudsy

Thanks for the tip. But to look the water it must take alot of experiance huh.

Thanks Again
Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 PM

Email me [email protected]
I dont have specific spots in that area but ive put in some time in long beach and lido.. A mile or 4 down the road... I wont give direct spots over there either. . but i can tell you techniques, what to look for, how to bait, what bait when, what plugs swimmers etc..
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM

Hey Joeyvee

I was fishing at a fishing pier in Magnolia Blvd Long beach Friday night.
Was hoping to get a striper but I got a big sand shark instead...
No luck for striper.......