River vs Reservoir Wipers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Iowa Hybrid stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM

Default River vs Reservoir Wipers

Around this part of the country ( Iowa ) the larger Wipers are caught from the Des Moines river. The last two state records came from this river.
A member of our local fishing club ( www.centraliowaanglers.com ) caught a whopper last year from this river. > 32.5" 18lb12oz <

It was slightly smaller than our state record...but a NICE fish ..for sure !

My question is this (You 'all knew I had a question... )
Why are the wipers caught from the river larger than the ones that come from the reservoir that's above the river ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: River vs Reservoir Wipers

Ah. a board with some local wiper info.

Toothfish Heres a pick of Youa Louva who holds the Iowa record from the river.
Im sure you have seen it before.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Yes! I have seen this photo . Every year someone gets a big one out of this river below the dam . I have some theories on why these river wipers are so much bigger than the lake has. I wondered if there are other areas in the country that see the same scenario ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Here's a somewhat experienced, if not educated guess:
Stripers, wipers, other predator fish mass below the dams in the tailraces, because that's where the baitfish seem to mass.
Just because it's as far as they can go upstream during spawn, more oxygen, more micro-organisms for shad to eat?
I'd think the concentration of fish makes catching a big'n more probable.
Nothing scientific, but fish up against the wall and cornered are easier to catch!
LMJeff
Old 02-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiamiJeff View Post
Here's a somewhat experienced, if not educated guess:
Stripers, wipers, other predator fish mass below the dams in the tailraces, because that's where the baitfish seem to mass.
Just because it's as far as they can go upstream during spawn, more oxygen, more micro-organisms for shad to eat?
I'd think the concentration of fish makes catching a big'n more probable.
Nothing scientific, but fish up against the wall and cornered are easier to catch!
LMJeff
i think you nailed it, Jeff!...hope to prove that point in about 6 weeks ;)
Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Wiper Guru

Thumbs up Re: River vs Reservoir Wipers

I think Jeff is probably right on the money. Now that you mention it, the last two Indiana record wipers came out of the Tippicanoe River below the dam on Lake Freeman or Schaffer--I never can keep the two apart.

I spend the largest part of last year just trying to get a reservoir wiper over ten pounds; I got an 8.5 pounder, but that was as big as it got. I think, in addtion to Jeff's astute observations, I would add that being a wiper in a lake is a lot more work. In the rivers the wipers seem to be loners. In lakes they travel in gangs and appear to work together in their quest for food. Even the small ones in lakes travel in packs. One breaks the surface and they all break the surface. It's not like below the dams where they seem to be able to just wait and the food comes to them.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Lunker

Here on the Tn river they do go to Pickwick Dam starting in march.
But the best ones are around the Islands down river .

Looking forward to wearing them out this year. Even have plans to try out a 9 wt Fly rod on them. With the hand tied flys I have been working on.
Pete
Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-ride View Post
i think you nailed it, Jeff!...hope to prove that point in about 6 weeks ;)

I see you have one picture of a nice one. That was caught in March.
Do you remember what you were or how you were fishing when you were catching them that early?
Most times here at Pickwick its late march. Sure would love to start out early.

Have plans to try planner boards and see what I can get in a week or so.

Pete
Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpete View Post
I see you have one picture of a nice one. That was caught in March.
Do you remember what you were or how you were fishing when you were catching them that early?
Most times here at Pickwick its late march. Sure would love to start out early.

Have plans to try planner boards and see what I can get in a week or so.

Pete
we were fishing at Wilson dam with jigs...i caught that one on a 1.5 oz white hyper striper bucktail w/plastic swimbait trailer.
if you decide to fish the dam in early spring, be veeeery careful...it's mighty shallow during winter pool and there's a LOT of foot eating rocks just under the surface.(i personally won't fish there that early unless TVA is generating AND the big wheels are turning).
i'll shoot you a p.m. with more detail.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 AM

ALL GREAT INPUT !!!
A couple of things touched on about gangs on the lake and singles in the river.
I feel that these fish will develop their own feeding techniques by the environment they live in ..(probably true with all species) The river fish has less area to travel for food and probably less effort to feed = larger fish ! Also in our area there are swarms of fishermen along the river banks at certain times of the year ...increasing the odds of one being caught.

Just some thoughts ...sorry for rambling.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothfish
Why are the wipers caught from the river larger than the ones that come from the reservoir that's above the river
Heres one factor that probably plays into the equation. It's likely that more fingerlings and fry are stocked in the impoundments and as the fish get larger their migration instincts kick in and the larger ones spill over the dams into the rivers.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:32 PM

OK ! That starts another discussion : Do hybrids have migrating instincts ? Does that instinct take the fish over the dam or up the river ?
Some (probably MANY) make it over the dam. Is it just by accident or instintive.

Probably one of those "who cares" things. But makes for a good discussion.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:57 PM

I'm really guessing, but they stock East Fork Lake here in SW Ohio.
The hybrids coming through the dam go down the East Fork of the Little Miami River, into the Little Miami River, into the Ohio River, and back. And, the wipers stocked in Ohio River may also come up these same rivers.
My point: like most/all migratory creatures, they will go back to where they originated, spawning or not. So, I'm guessing, hybrids really do want to spawn, even though it's blanks. ( I have a vascectomy to prove the point).
So they'll go upstream to spawn, and also to follow the shad, find shad, find wipers.
LMJ
Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Wiper Guru

Once again, I think Jeff's right. Wipers do partake in a false spawn, but I don't thing they do so en masse. If you look up the listing of threads, you'll see one for Indiana wiper tracking. Take a look at their patterns for March 2006. If I remember correctly, the INDNR captured something like 53 fish, tagged them, then tracked them. A couple ( I don't remember if it was one or two) immediately managed to escape over the dam and they pretty much hung out at the base of the dam from then on. The others seemed to somewhat go up the lake to the feeder creeks and hang for a time, then work their way back down into the main body of water. It is as if they are a lost generation traveling in circles with no real Eden to get back to, but all the while knowing there is an Eden somewhere. That's a lot of metaphorical mixings to swallow all at once, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 AM

Wink Re: River vs Reservoir Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowretrieve View Post
It is as if they are a lost generation traveling in circles with no real Eden to get back to, but all the while knowing there is an Eden somewhere. That's a lot of metaphorical mixings to swallow all at once, but I'm sure you get the idea.
I can think of what is the most apparent to me, Slowretrieve: You just described Mankind, (I've seen a signature somewhere: "Some fishermen realize it's not the fish they are after") we're all seeking "Something", that Eden we were kicked out of due to sin. Eden represents utopia, perfection, living in the Loving Protective Presence of God without shame. And I believe we all miss that and long for it. Consider why Jesus would tell Peter, James and John, among other Fishermen: I will make you Fishers of Men.

But, back to wipers, God made them that way, to seek home base, to reproduce, to multiply and be fruitful! :)
God Bless,
LMJeff