HELP ME -- Staten Island - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 07-29-2004, 01:33 PM

Default HELP ME -- Staten Island

ok folks.. im a recent transplant from florida..

i was fishing/wading in florida using live shrimp and having good luck..

i moved to SI.. a good friend and myself got new poles and have wanted to go out..

- we have casting rods(6'6" MH ugly sticks) and rather large 7 ball bearing reels

here are my questions:

- what should we use for bait/can we catch it ourselves?
- best times
- how should we set up the poles for fishing either from a pier/jetty/etc
- where are the best places in SI to fish
- why do i see people using 6-8-10 OZ weights
- i've noticed that people throw out the line and put the pole down and wait for the drag to be pulled out.. is this the right way to fish here?
- I've tried a pier in SI off sherridan Lane ( spelling? ) i was out there from 10 pm to 12 am and used frozen fishes as bait ( small striped looking things ) and clams.. I had no luck- what were we doing wrong?

basically i need help -- tips- tricks.. etc

i love fishing.. but i also want to be sure im doing it right and oh -- to catch one once in a while helps :P

send help!
regards
gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Gary

Lots of questions here. let me see if I can answer a few. The pier is Sharrotts road in tottenville? I think your referring too. Too shallow to be productive for stripers. Good for fluke and sea robbins maybe skate. Wrong place to put that pier, in my opinion. Midland beach pier. much better.

Read this https://www.stripers247.com/Statenisland.htm Limited but of some help.
I grew up on Staten Island and I know it pretty well. Use 3 to 5 oz sinkers current not that strong along coastal places. If I was going to fish there now I would go to Great Kills and fish the beach. The harbor is also productive. (all of it is gateway) as is Fort Wadsworth. Another great place to fish. You dont need a gateway permit in the day time but at dusk you have to have a sticker for your car. One can be purchased for $50 bucks :evil: for the season at the ranger station at Miller field on New dorp Lane. (near the beach).
The pier at midland and the jetties and pilings at south beach are productive as well. Parks Department No permit required as is all the beaches east of Great kills to tottenville , all by the way productive for stripers. They just hold tight to structure and are deep during the hot weather.
Freds tackle shop use to be near sharrotts but he retired at nearly 90 years old. His wife had held some sort of an island record with a 64 pounder on live bunker a number of years bacxk. :D
Go to Michaels in Great kills. Mansion Marina. Across from the boat yard for bait. If he has eels use em. Otherwise use fresh bunker. I used to snag them in the harbor everyday at 5 or 6 oclock especially July and August. Remember the blue fish dominate so ask Joe or Carlos at Michaels whats on the beach. and what their feeding on. And you might want the pre packaged blue fish hooks or the already made striper rigs. Only 1.25 a piece. Use 3 ounce sinkers for the beach unless its strormy or choppy then go a little heavier with 4 or 5 oz. Guys use heavier when they fish off of a boat in the stronger currents.

Fish early morning and night time for stripers. Your 6 and 1/2 foot rod is ok from the pier but for casting distance you will want a longer rod. Maybe 9 feet. But the ugly stik is fine if your beginning from the pier. Aunt Phylis pet store also has fishing supplies and bait for the pier fisherman at midland beach. Shes on Midland Avenue 3 blocks from the beach. Those fishies you refer to are most likely spearing. I like to use big chunks of bunker rather than the smaller spearing. Although the stripers herd the spearing when their available. Clams also are excelent at certain times of the year. Depends on what their feeding on at the moment. But they always love bunker. Good luck

The National Park service
Gateway NRA is a 26,000 acre recreation area located in the heart of the New York metropolitan area. The park extends through three New York City boroughs and into northern New Jersey.
ENTRANCE FEES
Parking Fee

Details
GATEWAY HAS NO ENTRANCE FEES. However, Beach Parking Fees are charged at Sandy Hook and Jacob Riis Park during the summer. Annual passes are available for Sandy Hook.

ACTIVITY FEES
Fishing Permit
Fees
$50 - Annual (recently raised)

Details
There are fees for parking in fishing lots at all Gateway sites. Permits are available at Gateway Visitor Centers/Ranger Stations.
Public Affairs Office
(718) 354-4606 Jamaica Bay Unit
(718) 338-3799
(718) 354-4500 Staten Island Unit

Sandy Hook Unit
(732) 872-5970
You can Also purchase a yearly National parkpass for $50. that allows you access to any National park that requires an entry fee. You can purchase one online at their web site.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Staten Island Tackle shops

Staten Island Tackle shops

Michaels Bait & Tackle Mansion Avenue Great Kills
http://www.sportingfish.com/Michael's_B&T_HmPg.html

Great kills Bait and Tackle Hyland Blvd Great Kills 718/356-0055
http://www.greatkillsbaitandtackle.com

Scaglionis Bait & Tackle Victory Blvd Tomkinsville (718/727-7373)

Biggies Bait & Tackle Page Avenue Tottenville 718) 966-9206
http://www.fishbox.tv/biggies/

Aunt phillis Pet shop Midland Avenue Midland Beach

Check out biggies for some targeted locations and directions.

Jim
Old 09-17-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Staten Island

I am going tomorrow. To catch the evening tide. High is approx 10.30 PM
Prolly fish the harbor. Look for a maroon frontier. 8)