Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Power Pro Question

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  brownb4 
#1 ·
When fighting a fish with power pro should I change my techniques that I used for mono? I usually pull up then reel down repeat is this right? I had a good fish on last night that I lost I think I may have ripped the lure through his jaw when I slightly tightened the drag a little. Would like it if I didn't lose any fish shocking huh:) cigar.gif

#2 ·
you want to pump as you would with mono just make sure you pull back smoothly, and keep the line tight when your reeling in. If you let the line go slack even for a second you could drop the fish. Also I wouldnt tighten my drag doing so can resutl in pulling the hook, straightening the hook, or breaking the line or knot. I havent had power pro break but I have had everything else happen. If its a good fish let him run before you put pressure on him, and if your fishing from the beach use the surf to your advantage Bringing the fish in with the waves. hope this helps

#3 ·
What type of lure? how many trebles? If was a good fish, chances are you're not going to "rip the lip". Large Bassy's have incredibly strong tissue in and around their mouths. You may have gotten a "reaction strike" (if you were plugging with a lure) and "foul hooked" the fish....meaning it slapped it violently and it was hooked on its "cheek" or head etc. but the loss could be a bad hookset and the fish "popped the hook". Had it happen many times after fighting a decent fish. I still have alot to learn th_icon_loll.gif if its a decent fish and "worthy of a fight", the "pump and run" rule should work just fine for you. that means rod tip down when its screaming, and up to "10 oclock" when it stops running, etc etc etc

#4 ·
I was using a tsunami 4" sand eel (looks like a shad to me) and it happened again last night twice. I think I learned though that I have to be careful how far I raise the rod up when tryin to fight the fish. I haven't caught a ton of large fish nothing over say 16lbs. So I think I just need to work on the initial hook set and not over doing raising the rod up am I on base here? Although I will say i did catch one fish that was 27"(should have sat on it doh!) took me about 8 minutes on light tackle lots of fun. Let me tell ya I didn't expect that fish!

#5 ·
I run my drag a bit loser and I like my rod tip a bit softer then mono setups... as a rule when working a plug or jig, run the rod angle a bit higher so when a fish takes, they can turn before the line comes tight.. much less chance of pulling a hook out if the fish can turn before the hookset.. thumbsup.gif

#6 ·
ahh Yeah that is what I was thinking. Since there is no stretch in the fiber line having my drag looser than i would normally have with the mono would be applying the same ammount of pressure on the fish? heh and I get to hear my drag a bit more:) Good tip on the letting him turn info. I'm pretty new to lure fishing, been trying to quit bait. Haven't touched bait this week and got 20 fish I can't believe it. Persistance has been payin off. But tonight no fishing rest cigar.gif :cheers: Thanks again!

#8 ·
www.procure.com got this sauce in alewife and the smelly jelly in bunker. I think I might try out the 10" fin-s fish tonight or this weekend wohooo. I can't wait till I have a rod that can handle the 9" shads those have got to kill em. Why does lure fishing make me feel like more of a man? hahaha well the 10" fin-s helps too haha

#9 ·
Jigman-

I went fishing last night and tried to reel in the rubber shad with my rod tip a bit higher instead of pointing down. I was feelin like it wasn't getting as deep and I was getin more hits with the tip down. Maybe its all in my head? I did manage to get my second 27 of the year where is that first keeper of the year O where! Plus some guy next to me wanted to keep a 18" fish that I caught. Wrote a email to the envrio police.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.