Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Power pro vs. Spiderwire

16K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  K-Cube 
#1 ·
I have currently use power pro but have noticed that spiderwire is cheeper(17.99 compared to 27.99), I wanted to know anyones thoughts on spiderwire, is it as good as powerpro? if so I'm gonna make the switch thanks

#2 ·
Khary

I've always been a mono guy but the last few seasons I've taken to powerpro for plugging duty and around heavy rocks and or muscle beds. (I still prefer mono)
I find the power pro to be worth the extra cash as it hasnt let me down when I've used it. Ive used spider wire in the distant past and didnt like the way it frayed. I think the powerpro also lasts longer than spiderwire. There isnt the need to change the line as often. Im not the best gauge of the products as my experience with braided lines is limited. But you usually get what you pay for with tackle and gear. I'd like to hear what the rest of the guys say on this one myself.

#4 ·
I use or have used PowerPro, Fireline, Stren Superbraid, Cortland braid, Gorilla Braid, TuffLine and Berkley Stealth

I no longer use PP. Too prone to windknots and in my experience it's the most vulnerable to nicks, cuts and breakoffs in rocky areas.

I still use Fireline in 14# and 20# on my spinning gear. The fluff that builds up is due to the way the line is made, fused rather than braided. It doesn't seem to effect the strength of the line. Go to Montauk - it's by far the most popular braid being used there.

I also still use Stren Superbraid and like it as much as Fireline but the difference in the line isn't enough to justify the additional cost. If they were the same price I'd buy whichever one the closest store has.

I love Stealth, but only on conventional gear, 30# for plugging and 65# for bait. The teflon is impregnated throughout the line rather than just a surface coating. This makes it easy to pull out the occasional birdsnest. A nightmare nest that takes 45 minutes to untangle with other braids comes right out with Stealth. It's too thick and seems prone to windknots on spinning gear.

Gorilla braid is too thick for my taste - the heavier tests make great fly line backing though.

Cortland is OK, I like the fact that it actually breaks near its rated strength. I've only been able to find it online so I've only used one 600 yard spool. It feels like a cross between PP and Superbraid. A bit tougher than PP and a bit stiffer then the Stren.

I used one 300 yard spool of Tuffline and found it to be too brittle in rocky areas. If I only used it off the sand the low price would have me using it much more.

These are only my personal opinions - your mileage may vary.

#5 ·
Khary
Suds pretty much covered it. Here is an old thread from tackle and gear that unfortunately got seriously pruned during the server move. There are some more thoughts there as well. It seems that others made the switch to fireline from powerpro.
What suds and others have said will prompt me to try fireline as well. Where is the power in power pro?

Berkley Fireline (for spinning reels 14# test the best) (the xds was developed for baicasters)

Interesting history for spiderwire
THE BEGINNING
The Spider brand originated in 1994 with Safariland, a California company which produced law enforcement equipment. While working with high-tech synthetics to produce bulletproof vests, Neale Perkins and Scott O'Brien discovered that the gel-spun polyethylene fibers used in the vests were ideal for a number of applications, including the creation of super-strong fishing line. Various constructions were researched and tested, ultimately resulting in SpiderWire?, the strongest, thinnest, most sensitive fishing line ever produced.
For comparison sake
Powerpro
Pure Fishing the distributor of several lines including spiderwire and fireline.(berkely)

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice gentlemen , I think I'm gonna spool a reel with spiderwire and compare the two

Khary
th_c4dffb1f.gif

#7 ·
BRAIDED LINE

I READ SOMEWHERE THAT YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO FILL UP YOUR REEL WITH BRAID ,,,KEEP IT 1/8 FROM THE TOP AND YOU WILL DRASTICALLY REDUCE YOUR CHANCE'S OF WIND KNOTS....SO I DI IT LAST SEASON AND I HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH IT,,SO FOR WHATEVER ITS WORTH,,,,,THESE TACKLE STORE GUYS WILL AUTOMATICALLY FILL UP YOUR REEL BECAUSE IT MEANS MORE MONEY FOR THEM.....NOT WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!!!

#8 ·
I agree with Suds. I am sure he has spent hundreds of hours more than I have fishing in any given year - but my 2 cents.

I love spiderwire on conventional rules
I really like fireline on light tackle spinning reels.
I dont like power pro or gorilla at all
Not a big fan of the fusions - they dont seem to hold knotts too well
I love P-line mono 20lb and above.
Put suffix on a van staal (expensive) but I really like it so far. May go to it for big spinning.

#9 ·
I have lots of experience with the braids and the thermal filaments (Fireline), and I prefer the latter for most applications. My opinions and thoughts....

Stealth - Rope. Didnt like it much. I would only use it for chunking if I had too. Good for hauling up lost anchors.

Powerpro - Ropey, but not as ropey as Stealth. Great for jigging, which is the only application I use it now (20# test on medium setups). Horrible experiences with it while plugging and casting, especially in wind. But my #1 choice for jigging, seems to "get down and through" the water better than Fireline (thanks Jigman for PROVING this phenominon to me lol). Gets down, great feel, and rock solid hooksets when jigging rockpiles.

Fireline - Use 20# on just about all of my plugging setups, and 30# for chunking/dead sticking and on surf setups. Incredible casting, more "body" and not as "limp" as the ropey braids. Much better for me, especially when plugging in the wind along the coast. And ofcourse, its strong.

Fireline XDS - Great line for the most treachorous of holes. Casts super, love the 35 and 50 pound when fishing super rocky structure with bait. Casts excellent and is super-strong. Unfortunately, its not made under 35# test. I use it on a few of my larger surfcasting setups.

Never used Stren. Probably nevah will th_sm19.gif

BTW, something to take into account.......some (spinning) reels "lay" down braids and superlines better than others....meaning you will experience less backlash and windknots and birdnests flying back at ya lol. For instance some Tica's and Okuma's (in my experience) seem to lay down the Fireline on the spool better than some older Penn's and other less "braid friendly" reels.

#10 ·
I stopped using power pro two seasons ago, except for the 30#. Last year I used tuff line xp, better in the 50# and 65# range of braid. better than pp, This year i'm using Fireline on my plugging outfits and Spiderwire on my heavier setups. thumbsup.gif

#11 ·
I've posted my braid experiances somewhere here but anyhow, I love PowerPro, but like some braids you have to have casting habits that are braid friendly.. like laying your thumb on the spool-lip (gently) as line is coming off to keep it tight; shutting the bail with your free hand vs allowing it to close with the reel; after each cast a little tug with your free hand to insure there are no loose loops.. it's all habit now and really really makes fishing any braid a trouble-free experience...

As Jonny posted: some reels are not designed for braid at all-- the spool oscillation is waay too fast.. when picking one out for braid use, I always check to be sure that the spool travel is complete at both ends and that the oscillation is slow... it will lay the line wraps down closer together, thus, when it comes off the spool in a hurry it's not going to reach across the spool and develope a loose loop, then suck that loop into your guides..

if I'm fishing shallow ledgey areas I'll use a mono leader applied with an alberto knot.. (kinda like a albright with a twist) not many braids out there like the sharp stuff too well.. mono wins that battle. IMO

your mileage may vary headbang.gif

#12 ·
I love fireline for casting and use it on all my casting rods (including plugging when I can afford). I absolutely love the stuff and it adds a very good distance to my casting distance. However, in case this isnt common knowledge, you have to put on backing when putting any braid on your reel. Braids and fused lines dont have any grip to them, so putting it straight onto the slippery metal will make it so your line will slip very easily on the spool. Add in the fact that its expensive and smaller diameter so a lot fits on...

You always put a mono backing (whatever line is cheapest, 12-25# pound berkley big game for casting and 30-50# for trolling reels, the big game is high-vis and very cheap, although it has a lot of memory and is a very stiff line) of at least the spools maximum recommended line and fill it up to at least half the spool capacity (more if you want to save money and are only using it for casting). Then you tie and albright and load on the line. You only need about 50 or so yards for a casting rod, and for trolling rods, at least 200 usually Id go to 250 (30 # is adequate and recommended).

I've used dacron and tufline XP, and so far, I like the tufline better, its got an almost waxy feel that keeps the line from fraying and doesnt build up a lot of crap (you learn just how much comes off when you spool it up with an electric spooler, firelines dirty!)

Power Pro is too expensive for me, and I dont like the way it feels.

I like braids for trolling because of the no-stretch, and because they arent eaten by UV rays, and it lasts more then one season verse mono.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.