Fish whopper: 646 pounds a freshwater record - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:09 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Fish whopper: 646 pounds a freshwater record

"MSNBC
June 29, 2005
Thai fishermen netted a catfish as big as a grizzly bear, setting a world record for the largest freshwater fish ever found, according to researchers who studied the 646-pound Mekong giant catfish as part of a project to protect large freshwater fish.
Its amazing to think that giants like this still swim in some of the worlds rivers, project leader Zeb Hogan project leader said in a statement. Weve now confirmed now that this catfish is the current record holder, an astonishing find.?
Im thrilled that weve set a new record, but we need to put this discovery in context: these giant fish are uniformly poorly studied and some are critically endangered," added Hogan, a fellow with the World Wildlife Fund, which is partnering with the National Geographic Society. "Some, like the Mekong giant catfish, face extinction.
'Largest fish species disappearing'
Hogan said his study of giant freshwater fish "is showing a clear and global pattern: the largest fish species are disappearing.
"The challenge is clear," he added, "we must find methods to protect these species and their habitats. By acting now, we can save animals like the Mekong giant catfish from extinction.?
Hogan's project includes two-dozen other species, including the giant freshwater stingray, the dog-eating catfish, the dinosaur-like arapaima, and the Chinese paddlefish "all of which remain contenders for the title of the world?s largest fish," the researchers stated, pending the final results of their work.
"Long shots for the title include caviar-producing sturgeon, goliath Amazon catfish, giant lungfish, razor-toothed gars, massive cods, and Mongolian salmon," they added.
Didn't survive capture
The Mekong giant catfish was caught and eaten in a remote village in Thailand along the Mekong River, home to more species of giant fish than any other river in the world, the researchers said.
Local environmentalists and government officials had negotiated to release the fish so it could continue its spawning migration in the far north of Thailand, near the borders of Thailand, Laos, Myanmar and China, but the adult male later died.
The researchers said the Mekong giant catfish is declining as a species due to habitat destruction and upstream dams.
The Mekong River Basin is home to more species of massive fish than any river on Earth, they added, and Mekong fish are the primary source of protein for the 73 million people that live along the river."
wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 AM

Quote:
The team leader was quoted as saying "we must find methods to protect these species and their habitats. By acting now, we can save animals like the Mekong giant catfish from extinction.?
Well one way to begin would be not to put that brute on display and eat him. The fished was stressed and didnt survive capture. Of course not did they really think it would? It doesnt mention how it was caught neither.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:01 AM

Thats how big the one I hooked the other day but came of just as I was bringing him in the boat. Then I woke up.

If I caught a fish that big I'd be too afraid to even try to land that thing. It might eat me or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 h4xx0r
If I caught a fish that big I'd be too afraid to even try to land that thing. It might eat me or something.
Yeah leet, same here. Thats CRAZY!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 AM

Says it was "netted". Must have been one heck of a net!!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Veteran

Thats another reason, I don't go in the water :huh: