New Guy Heyah.... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Hampshire
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Hampshire New Hampshire striped bass fishing discussion & reports

Old 06-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Default New Guy Heyah....

Hello to folks on this board. I usually post on a couple of others, but found this one and recognized a couple of names and though I'd sign up.

I was out with the wife and daughter on Sunday just doing a slow cruise to beat the heat. On my way back from Rye Beach (in the boat), as we came around Odiorne I noticed some "Funny Water". The water was clear enough so that I could see the schools of fish, and I couldn't indentify them immediately. I threw out a sabiki into the middle of them and came back with 2 Pogies. Haven't seen pogies this size in this neck of the woods for a long time. The fish were all balled up and moving here and there. I don't know if I ran into several schools, or just one that was moving but I did locate the fish after they went down several times. I'm absolutely positive there was something pushing them up, but they weren't jumping out of the water for thier lives like I've seen them do when there are some yellow eyed critters below. Unfortunately my 4 month old daughter didn't feel like it was a good time to stop, so I headed to the dock to drop them off and head back out. On the way to the dock I was stopped by the NH fish and game, passed all the safety stuff but I didn't realize I needed a boating license in NH this year (this was the first year that it was applicable for me, based on a chart. FYI, if you are less than 38 yrs old, you need a license this year too). My boat is usually kept in mid coast Maine, and I only have it down here a few weeks a year (and it's kept on the Maine side of the river). If I hadn't been going up the back channel, I would have been okay, but the BC is totally in NH water vs. the Piscat which is 50/50. Anyway, my daughter is screaming her head off while they take 25 mintues to give me a $60 ticket. :wall: I guess I passed the NH Marine Patrol boat too close (need to be 150 feet away from other boats to go fast, otherwise it's headway speed). The guy was nice enough (almost apologetic), but I'm a damn good boater and I was not even close to disturbing his sitation. That screwed up the evening, and I didn't get back out. I do have some pogies still though; I'm interested to see what they smell like today.

Anyway, took the online test yesterday and passed it on the first try with a score in the 90%+ range. I think I may try and fight the ticket not because I think I'll win; but because I can as a citizen.

Fishing tomorrow morning, maybe tonight. I'll post what I find for sure.

Nice to meet you all, if you see a 23' Center Console (no Tee Top) w/ a 250 Merc on the Piscat or the area with a "UGLYCHILD" on the back quarter panels, give a wave!

Best Regards,

UC

Hey Jonny B, looks like you and I have a birthday coming up. Mine is Thursday....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 12:17 PM

Bummer about the ticket, I have to give them a ring today, because they're about a year late in sending my license, all I have is the temporary print out. I'm sure it'll just amount to me having to do it again.

I've been hearing about a lot of pogies in the mouth of the Piscataqua, hopefully it'll bring some monsters upriver. I was thinking about going down there and checking it out today but on my way to the office I saw some rather ominous clouds rolling inland, so I doubt it.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:37 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

UC! W E L C O M E :wave:

Sorry to hear about your run in with F&G. Nice report about the Pogies! Roc was sayin how he spotted them in the Merrimack. This is a GREAT sign!

BIG BASSY'S!!!

Happy B-Day dude!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 01:46 PM

welcome UC! Fight the ticket, if the water cop don't show up to court I'm guessing you'll get out of it :wtg:
Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM

Hi Ugly welcome to the site. Great name
That ticket sucks, but Im glad the guys are out there watchin the water.

Happy birthday Btw :balloons:
Old 06-28-2005, 02:23 PM

Welcome UC

Sucks about the ticket. Somethings just don't make sense. Anyway, sounds like you had a nice boatride atleast.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Ticket...

I understand that they need to hand out tickets; I'm really not that bitter. We all have a job to do, and I should have educated myself on the matter ahead of time. I did think I would have been a perfect person to give a break to though, as I was fully up to snuff on my safety gear, had a screaming 4 month old, etc. Oh well, big boys don't cry. I do appreciate thier efforts, and I do think that thier presence is needed from some of the f'n knuckle heads I've seen out there.

Once I realized that I was looking at pogies, I reached way into the bottom of the bag and found a snagger from back in the day. It still works quite well..... I hope the pogies stay inshore to avoid the mid-water trawlers.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 PM

Welcome to the site Uglychild! :wtg: