Help for a new guy - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Official Member

Default Help for a new guy

Hi, all
I'm relatively new to kayak fishing, just got started at the end of last summer with a Yak. I fish in Buzzards Bay (near Cape Cod) and have been out for about 15 hours this year. So far, though, I've only gotten two stripers, both in the same day and both around 20 inches. Nothing spectacular. I have a 6.5' rod with a Shimano Baitrunner reel that works great. I haven't tried live bait yet but I've use a 5" Atom popper (used this for the two fish), a spoon, and the Storm Wildeye Shad swim baits. I've been using a wire leader as there are lots of bluefish around (not that I would know).
The spots I've been fishing were recommended to me by other fishermen and my guy at the bait shop but the real lack of fish has been kind of disappointing.
Anybody have ideas about what I could do to catch more stripers? Or is it normal to catch two fish in fifteen hours?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: Help for a new guy

Lose the wire. It kills the action of the lures. If your concerned about bluefish use 50#-80# flourocarbon leader depending if they're cocktails or gorillas.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Striper Hunter

I totally agree....definitely stay away from wire leaders. A heavy mono/flourocarbon leader will do just fine, and it's worth taking the chance on the big blues.

Different fishing methods may be more effective than others at different locations, but I have a few tips. That atom popper may work for you in May and June, but you should switch to other methods for more success as July and the other summer months hit. You should absolutely be able to increase your catch.

I use a shimano baitrunner in the kayak for trolling sometimes as well. I like that you can set the baitrunner very lightly and let line out without messing up your main drag or opening your bail. In May and June, just about any type of plugs will work for you. I like to bring one casting pole and one trolling pole. Troll around until you see breaking fish you can cast to! If the fish aren't right on top, get a little deeper with a RonZ. If nothing else works, sometimes an unweighted sluggo does the trick.

Once this time of year comes around, you need to get down deeper (for the most part....every now and then you'll still find yourself in a blitz). I would highly recommend getting yourself a leadcore setup and trolling with a tube-n-worm. I haven't been skunked one day yet with the tube and worm. It's pretty much a guarantee. In fact, many of the kayakers seem to outfish the boaters with this setup, perhaps because we able to troll at slow enough speeds. If you don't wat to get a setup like this, you could always drift eels.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Official Member

Thanks a lot!
I'll definitely make the switch over to a mono or fluoro leader.

And NTruro38, I'll give the tube-n-worm a shot! How deep is the water that you usually troll in and how deep do you let the bait get?

Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Striper Hunter

I typically catch the majority of my fish using leadcore in 20-40 feet of water. I don't use a keel or weight system, and do great fishing between 3.5-5 colors of leadcore out.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Striper Hunter

BTW, remember to troll SLOW! Stay between 1.5-2 knots for the most part.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTruro38 View Post
BTW, remember to troll SLOW! Stay between 1.5-2 knots for the most part.
This is very good advice for the T&W. There are times when you just cant go that slow. I do a lot of trolling in a tidal river. When going into the flow of the tide I'd be going backwards if my water speed was 2 knots. In that situation I switch to trolling something like the shad swim baits. When I get to the turn around point and can go with the flow of the tide I'll go back to the T&W.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Official Member

when trolling for stripers i prefer to use a crank bait. i love the swim baits, especialy storms but if you are trolling in heavy current and get hung up on the bottom, your night turns into real trouble. instead, using floating or suspending cranks let you pause, radicaly change directions, and by using different depth cranks you can cover a lot more of the water column. this doesn't stop getting hung up, but gives you better odds of just catching stripers.

in most cases, you just can't troll to slow for stripers. i have even back paddled in current, letting the lure work as i backed it into the kill zone around a point. some plastics can be used top water and also work well, and using spooks and super spooks can let you play in very little water (you can also use floating poppers in skinny water, i'll even use an elastic to hold the hooks close to the body so they don't hang down, for even skinnier water!)

heavy mono or floro is definatley the way to go. since i mostly use 30# for shore fishing i don't often use a leader, but when the blues are around or i'm in the yak, where i use 20-25# line, i'll often use 40-50# for leader. my main lines are mostly copolamar...unless i just got spooled and only have the cheap stuff at hand...lol!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Official Member

thanks rjcappy! nice to be aboard.