sufix performance fuse (braid) ??? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Default sufix performance fuse (braid) ???

i am a big fan of sufix performance braid. it works great for me when surfcasting plugs and tins BUT my question is.... HAS ANYONE TRIED THE NEW SUFIX PERFORMANCE FUSE (BRAID) and whatdid u think of it...i did notice its slightly thicker then their other braid but i wont care of its better for casting... p.s. i searched the forums and drew a blank on this topic!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: sufix performance fuse (braid) ???

fused lines are more visible in the water than spectron/micronite/dyneema. suppose to be stronger as it is "supposedly spun thinner but having better polymer melt coverage. have not tested it yet as i don't like the specs of visibility "don't know if it is the coating or the color added when it's spun. prolly need to see the gulf coast forums or sites dedicated to off shore fishing that's been done with it. i don't wanna google anything about this stuff as i'm content with the line i use. but have at it. has to be decent line as anything made to be stronger must be good right? they did say that about spiderwire though..... lol.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Striper Hunter

zimno, this is where things get confusing for me because sufix claims the new line is all dyneema. i figured i might try it out in the smoke blue and see how it casts since it has a higher weave count BUT like u pointed out with spiderwire, not everything always works out. i really like the other sufix braid, as i fish it 3-4 times a week for hours and have had 0 problems with it...but u know, were always looking for the new best thing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

every super braid is basically dyneema now. well, in a sense. 3 strand braid like Cabela's Ripcord is more rough when it gets twisted. power pro/fireline/stren/ and a few others are all 4 strand spectra with exception to kevlar which has a shorter chain molecule. new gel spinning devices extrude and form a better weave now. the polymer melt process is improving and so are the types of dyneema. used to be short fibers coming out of the spinneret. now they are longer and solidifies/cures with a better bond. anyway, what Lb. test line is it? most 40+# test lines are basically made for offshore jigging and hard baits. once the craze of braided lines caught on for surf fishing the trial and error "which i have extensive experience with btw" made for individual preferences and theories "i say theories cause alot of gents used braid and failed because of alot of technical mishaps and gear/technique/and just ignorance of the system. anyway, 8-16 strand sprectra is of the jigging kind and more smooth and better suited for spin casting reels. power pro, as it is rougher and only 4 strand is coated better (less) than fireline as PP coats individual strands - hence the appearance. their's a preference to fireline but PP imo renders a better braid as it is coated "rougher" you lose casting distance with powerpro on account of this coat as the friction out of the guides but not what i consider a problem. jigging with powerpro is not the best as this roughness going thru the eye makes you lose sensitivity. all in all, even having a thinner dyneema line won;t hurt in the 40+ range as it won't "dig" like the smaller test ones. coatings need to be worked into the spool wet and literally passed out and in with authority several times to allow it to gain it's memory that way. you may say "memory? the power pro has memory. i know this to be true. It's only the coating that has memory but when it's broken in "for lack of better word" it will climb onto the spool better and with less dig and sticking as the coating has had a chance to blend within your wind. i don't expect anyone to understand this as it appears to be gibberish. i have dropped what i was doing at every instance i saw someone get a windloop and gotten it out for them and won bets this way. i can say what happened by what one did and have done most all of what could be done good and bad with these lines with exception of wide arrays of species. great post as i always like braided line questions. i wish we could put all my posted comments on braid together in one post. i don't remember half of what i learned over the years.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Striper Hunter

zimno, like u, i have also tried many of the braided lines. i find that they tend to dig in on the spool if the line is too loosely wound on the spool. also it seems that larger diameter line does this less. so we seem to have had similar experiences... i think i will try the sufix fuse and then get back to the thread at the end of next month after ive used it surfcasting a couple of weeks.... thanks for all the info on how theyre made/braided...it was very interesting.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie
i wish we could put all my posted comments on braid together in one post
We could extrapolate your posts and copy them into one thread. It would take me a week But !!! It might be a fun read - then again. [insert pulling hair out icon here]

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/se...ery=braid+line
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Striper Hunter

ok...so i have been using the suffix performance braid for a few weeks now on the north shore of long island where i live. the best thing i can say about it is that its just a good as the 1st sufix braid...but its a little cheaper to buy!! its fairly pliable, doesnt make wind knots and im catching plenty of stripers without the line failing or the knots failing. considering the rocks i fish over thats pretty good. so if u like sufix braid. u will like the sufix fuse.