Storm fishin? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:10 PM
LunkerSpunker

Default Storm fishin?

So this storm headed for us this weekend, supposedly remnants of a tropical storm, what's it going to do for the fishing? good thing? bad thing? Should I go out still (rhetorical, going anyway)? Are you goin out?
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Storm fishin?

I'm sure I'll be going out MB, tomorrow night/early Sunday morning. Trying to think what spots would provide quick shelter if need be, narrowed it down to a couple. Come to think of it theres a spot @ the Scarborough Marsh I could drive right up to and sit in my car..........if the weather gets bad enough, not a bad idea to have quick cover and wait for it to pass!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Lunker

I was thinking of hitting the beach tonight when the storm starts up.......legend has it thats when alot of the big uns were caught.....any opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBassMan View Post
I was thinking of hitting the beach tonight when the storm starts up.......legend has it thats when alot of the big uns were caught.....any opinions on this?
I am going to agree with you on this bassman the big ones usually hang around when the storm starts cranking up and at the tail end of it. I will be out in So County if anyone wants to have fun tonight
Old 09-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Internet Academy

Im hopping I catch the BIG one on Saturday late afternoon well into the night, going to the Cape with my friend.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Young salt

All this talk about the big'uns has me thinking of going to my spot rain or shine this weekend........tropical storm be damned. Bait fish a plenty are all over the place and holding more bass than Ive seen all season. Saw a few good sized fish the other night "patroling" the area, back and forth, over and over again. They've been extremely picky, a little nibblin, LOTS of chasing, very little striking. I've thrown clams, live eels and various plug/jigs/sluggo's and also seen mackerel, sandworms etc being used.....very few of which have landed fish. Oddly enough I only got one hit with live eels (last night, sloooooooowwwwwwwwww retrieve) but a handful the other night on 9" black/grey sluggo's. Some dirty bluefish stole my black bomber.....*heavy sigh* guess I'll just have to go to Cabela's and grab another one, what a shame, whoa is me!!!! These past few nights have definitely been more of a hunt than I'm used to, but it's been a blast even though I've yet to officially land one down there. Seeing all those fish bobbing and weaving, stickin n' movin, it's bound to happen....and if nothing else it's kept me coming back night after night!!! Good luck guys/gals, can't wait to see the first 50" Fall Classic picture

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 09-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Official Member

I am heading to Glosta tonight so I hope there is something to this storm fishing theory. I FF only, so I probably will hook my ear at least once with the wind. I have not fished since July 4th ( horse racing season where I live) so if anyone had any vague updates about which side of Cape Ann is hottest I would love a PM. I don't spot burn.

Last edited by Pata Grande; 09-06-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 AM

I hope this tune puts you in a good mood this mornin.
Bad Moon Rising

Stripies love the suds. Oxygenated, fast moving frothy stuff. Set up near a sand bar or an inlet jetty with the wind blowing at you. Honkin around 15 to 20 knots. Oh yes!!.
Bottles and metal will cut through the wind. If your out bait fishing, look for a leeward spot or around the rocks where clams get busted open.
Too windy and its not much fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB
what's it going to do for the fishing? good thing? bad thing?
To answer the question a little bit more. A storm can ruin the fishing for days afterwards. The fish may hunker until it passes. The water is roiled with a curtain of sand and grass and your favorite bar could be a flat nothing.
As the storm approaches and when it clears is a good time to be out surf fishing.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata Grande View Post
so if anyone had any vague updates about which side of Cape Ann is hottest I would love a PM
Stand on land, cast into water, I'm no expert but thats my .02 cents!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
Stand on land, cast into water, I'm no expert but thats my .02 cents!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Well your two hundredths of a cent didn't get me far. I spent a lot of time walking and very little fishing. There was bait but it was very relaxed, almost like it had never seen a striper. Basically I screwed up and didn't fish the tides correctly.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Actually, the lack of the "storm" sorta bummed me out.
Had a crew together to raid the beach for the washed ashore sea clams that didn't materialize.
Now I'm still out of bait and "stuffie" fixins.
I'm sure there will be one before long though. After all we do live in New England.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 PM

I timed it perfectly
Conditions were perfect
Tide was perfect
Whitewater breaking over a bar into current sweeping out of a marsh
Loads of bait. From bay anchovy to 3" peanuts to small mullet, 5" snappers chasing it everywhere

Not a ^%#$ bite - made no sense at all, two days later and I'm still scratching my head over why they weren't there.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata Grande View Post
Basically I screwed up and didn't fish the tides correctly.
When exactly did ya fish Pata, and for how long? There's a good chance you didn't screw up or fish the wrong tide (if there really is such a thing) if you were out there for a few hours. The fish may have already fed and hunkered down somewhere before the storm. Went to my spot yesterday that I know has been holding fish for the last couple few weeks, 4 hours up and down the beach and off the docks without so much as a bite. Ahhh well, there's always tonight........good luck man!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I timed it perfectly
Conditions were perfect
Tide was perfect
Whitewater breaking over a bar into current sweeping out of a marsh
Loads of bait. From bay anchovy to 3" peanuts to small mullet, 5" snappers chasing it everywhere

Not a ^%#$ bite - made no sense at all, two days later and I'm still scratching my head over why they weren't there.
I had a few bass. Where were you? What'd you throw?

PM if you want suds.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Official Member

Thanks Will. I agree there aren't really "wrong" tides, I just wasn't in the right places at the right times. I was trying to fit in family stuff and couldn't wait things out properly on the water. My spots around Glosta usually go like clock work, but this trip I kept moving too soon or to late. I should have been out in the driving rain between ten pm and 1 am, but I just wasn't feeling it. It just had a skunk smell to it on Sat at least where I was. The mind can definitely hurt my fishing.